Offset Refurb questions

Day one done is done on it. Got hinges cut in half on CC lid and got it off and cleaned up for new hinges. I tried 1/2" pipe from local Ace Hardware, but it is schedule 40 and looks like I need to find schedule 80 for thicker wall thickness and more importantly smaller ID.

For the none spinning wheel, I ended up cutting the spokes at the hub and then cut the hub in half to get off. Same goes for the hub, it is from Ace and is sch 40, need sch 80 for smaller ID.

Don't judge my welds, first ones I have ever done. Got a HF Titanium Flux Core, Seems to work well. Most importantly it holds and I can move it around now without dragging it. Will properly fix or change later, probably with golf cart wheels.

Fired it up just to see it smoke. Even with no wall on the FB below CC and no bottom on upright, with 5 -14" splits of oak, temps were at 185DegF in both chambers. Was kind of shocked.

I found a drop of 1/4" X 16 1/2" X 48" that I will use for FB end and bottom of Upright. Will have to piece the bottom together since it's not 20", but it wont show.

Don't have cutting torch or plasma, nor are they in budget. Any suggestion on how to cut circles with angle grinder?

Attachments

• IMG_9759.jpg
    IMG_9759.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_9758.jpg
    IMG_9758.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_9761.jpg
    IMG_9761.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_9762.jpg
    IMG_9762.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_9764.jpg
    IMG_9764.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 101
Circles with angle grinder: what I did was make a pattern on cardboard, trace it onto the metal and cut it with the angle grinder using a cutoff disc.

Progress

So got to work on it a little last night. Found a 1/2" sch 80 drop for my hinge replacements on CC. Got bottom cut off to replace with new bottom, will put drain in it so it doesn't hold water this time and rust out again.

Question. what should I lube the inside of hinge pipe and outside of round stock with to keep it from rusting inside again. will need to be done before welding, so I guess it's going to get hot inside and burn up whatever is in there.

Made template with poster board for two pieces I need to replace. found 3/16" plate drop for cheap. Now to cut, I don't have OxyAct or plasma, grinder with cutoff wheel is only option. Any advice for circle cuts?

Attachments

• FB CC Cutoff.jpg
    FB CC Cutoff.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 45
  • FB Hinge replacement.jpg
    FB Hinge replacement.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 44
  • Upright bottom off.jpg
    Upright bottom off.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 44
I had a smoker very similar to that. It was an incredible BBQ machine as designed. Four briskets in the horizontal and two turkeys in the vertical often.

Attachments

• IMG_0706.jpg
    IMG_0706.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 35
Back