THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cousinconley

Knows what a fatty is.
This summer, I purchased an old rusty custom smoker off Craigslist. So far I have been labeling it as a UDS...however it was never a 55 gallon drum in its past life. From the floor to the top of the chimney, it is roughly 6 foot tall. I believe it was made from a steel pipe of some sort. The cooking chamber is roughly 20 inches in diameter. I thew away the old grate that came with it. It was rusted through.

Here are the before pics:

Photo0117.jpg

Here is a close-up of the chimney with damper:

Photo0118.jpg

Here is the door for adding wood/charcoal. It opens below the bottom grate. Whenever I have opened it to add coal, it has never lost heat.

Photo0119.jpg

Now this is a door I fabricated for the bottom intake. Its made from the lid of a gas grill wood box. Later I discovered it still lets too much air in so I added a solid plate behind it attached with a screw and wingnut. It too is made from the same wood box. I used a pipe strap to hold the door shut at varying levels of tightness based on how far you wedge it in under the latch.

Photo0121.jpg

Here is a pic of the intake door open. I fashioned the end into a hinge to swing on the original hinge that was welded in place.

Photo0122.jpg

At this point I decided it was time to remove the old paint and rust. I bought a cheap angle grinder and went to work.

Photo0123.jpg

After 4 hours of grinding away, this was the results:

Photo0124.jpg

Photo0125.jpg

I purchased some high temp rustoleum black enamel paint and a small paint roller...no spraying. I put on 3 coats if I remember correctly.

Photo0128.jpg

Here is a back shot with a chimney cap I purchased and also painted:

Photo0130.jpg

The wheels were bad. So I purchased some heavy duty wheels that were identical to the originals.

Photo0131.jpg

Photo0132.jpg

Photo0135.jpg

After the wheels were added, I purchased a thermometer and spent 15 minutes drilling through the 3/8 inch steel. Earlier when I was grinding, I ground out the inside pretty could and swept it out.

Before I seasoned it, I proceeded to burn it out for extra measure. There was rust on the bottom inside that was in sheets. It was that or build up of something. After heating it I was able to get that rust out. Once clean, I seasoned it with Pam and chunks of hickory.

Photo0153.jpg

Later when I was ready to cook on it...I had to purchase rebar to clip on the top rack to lay the grate on. I could never could find a ready made grate to fit. I am currently waiting for some expanded metal to arrive on order. The was already rebar welded in place for the bottom rack/grate.

Photo0142.jpg

Here is a pick with both grates in place:

Photo0141.jpg

Looks good! Certainly don't need to worry about hail damage. I would add a BGE intake door right on your current door, seal up your upper door and put a good load of lump in there. With it sealed, you can set it and with the wall thickness you will cruise along for days!!

Back