Replacing an old Weber gasser with...?

bob3

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm helping someone replace their Weber gasser that's about 22 years old. The default advice is just to get another one (Genesis E-325s looks right). A Blackstone would be nice but I've been given orders to only get one unit, and they like to grill steaks, zucchini, etc. so I think it's out even though sauteing onions and peppers (in the kitchen) is a favorite. Budget in the $1,000 to $2,000 range. Convenience is important. Just get another Weber or is there anything else worth looking at? Thanks!

If you want one unit that does it all, there is the Cuisinart pellet grill/gas grill combo with side burner. And it comes with a cast iron griddle you can use on the gas grill side. I saw one the first time this week and I'm kind of impressed with it!

There is a MAK group buy going on right now. No idea what the cost is, but those that have MAKs seem to be quite happy with them. Or, just get another Weber.

Someone who's been cooking on a Weber for 22 years may find anything else inconvenient, but if they're adventurous and looking to maybe start smoking on occasion, then maybe something like a gravity fed masterbuilt or a nice pellet unit would be worth considering. Even though they're not what they used to be, it's hard to go wrong with a Weber gasser if you can have only one.

You should look at the Grilla Grills Primate. It is a gas grill that can also be used as a griddle. I don't own one but I am strongly considering it. I have had a GG Silverbak pellet smoker/grill for 3.5 years and the quality has been great.

I think some are upping their game. I cooked on a Dyna Glo four burner in Florida last month and was surprised what a nice job it did with both low and slow or searing. Good flare control. I'm sure it won't last 22 years, but a nice grill for the money.

A 22 year old Weber puts it in the age group before Weber started going more towards the cheaply built ones. Parts are readily available through either Weber or other sites. Heavy duty stainless grates and flavorizer bars through RCPlane Buyer on Ebay are worth the money in a buy once cry once setting, but I fully believe they will last a life time of cooking. Buy the burner from Weber and an igniter and you will have a nicely refurbished cooker that will last another 22+ years.

Just my 7 1/2 cents (adjusted for inflation) opinion.

Good luck on your quest.

Robert

I'd look at Broil King and Broilmaster gas grills if you want a gasser. Like George I'd then get some GrillGrates. They do great grill marks and can be turned upside down for use much like a griddle.

I have a Broil King with GrillGrates. It works great and is quite miserly on gas. Even the Broil Mate, their lesser expensive line, I had before it cooked great and sat outside uncovered for ten years without replacing a single part.

A 22 year old Weber puts it in the age group before Weber started going more towards the cheaply built ones. Parts are readily available through either Weber or other sites.

I'm with Robert - a new one will not last long at all. I gave my friend a client's very old, but basically unused Genesis that he keeps at his beach house - he remarked yesterday how it has lasted and no rust - whereas others he's had rust out quickly.
Just lift up an old one and a new one and feel the difference.
No Chinese crap will last.

I would stick with the older Weber if you can still get parts for it. I have two older Weber gas grills that still work great. I have replaced parts in the past but that was cheaper than buying a newer made overseas model. I just cooked on my old Weber Silver A two burner grill that the guy that I sold it to gave back to me because he was buying a new one.

The burner crossover tube had finally broke in half and I had given him a new complete set of stainless steel burners with the sale and he didn't want to replace them. Just wanted a new grill. I replaced the burners and it works perfectly. I bought it years ago for $50 off of CL.

The newer webers aren’t as well made as yours but they still have great support so you’ll be able to get parts for many years. That said, I’d look at Napoleon and Broil King as alternatives.

The Napoleon Prestige line is still made in Canada and are really well designed grills.

Back