THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mike Twangzer

is One Chatty Farker
What do you think is the best or acceptable pellet grill controller replacement ? Is there a USA made controller ? What works ? The reason I ask is that my original was acting goofy and the replacement did not work at all. Chinese made but I'm not against that if it is virtually flawless. Thanks mike

I recently installed a Smokin' Brothers/Savannah Stoker in a hand-me-down Traeger. Works like a champ. Once the temp settles out it holds +/- 5*.

For me, it was a huge upgrade because the grill is @ 12 years old and all original. As soon as the controller acted up, I replaced it. Night and day difference. Automatic start up and cool down programs, meat probe, and a program that makes user selected adjustments based on time and temp. Made the old hand me down much more reliable.

Controller

For me, it was a huge upgrade because the grill is @ 12 years old and all original. As soon as the controller acted up, I replaced it. Night and day difference. Automatic start up and cool down programs, meat probe, and a program that makes user selected adjustments based on time and temp. Made the old hand me down much more reliable.

What about the installation ? Do you have to clip wires and replace the connectors ?

Seems like the temp probe was the only thing hard wired. Everything else is plugs. New plugs are color coded. I traced out the plugs from the cooker and labeled them so I knew what went where. It's a pretty simple process. Watch the depth of any new controller. The back of the slot and/or the wires can get into the fan of the auger motor. I just cut some scrap Plexiglas to shim the controller slot out about 1/2". Another 1/4" probably would have been better. You could use scrap wood if you have some laying around. I know they sell an adapter, also. Bottom line, the whole thing took under 1/2 hr and it works great. There is an instructional video of the controller I have, produced by Smokin' Brothers, that shows how to use it.

Back