Reheating vacuum packed meats? Which ones handle sous vide well?

I'm in no way suggesting that anyone reheat in a microwave...(this deviates away from the OP...but is in response to a couple of posts above)

But if that method yields bad, or in some instances admittedly your worst result, then you have no idea how to use a microwave (or you think hitting one button should fix all your problems). Common sense goes a long way.

A microwave can perfectly heat up barbecue. I do it all the time.

Can it mess it up beyond what I would eat? Yes it can. Having the aforementioned common sense goes a long dam way to not letting it get to that point.

Heat, stir/rotate...heat, stir/rotate...heat, stir/rotate.

I freeze food (barbecue) with four things in mind. Ease of freezing, storage, speedy thawing, and if needed, microwaving. One thing aids in achieving all of these things...freezing flat & as thin as possible. Plastic bags are needed in order to realize these goals. Place the food in the bag so it's not sitting in a blob in the bottom...spread it out, utilize the entire bag (or at least a portion of it that allows you to get a flat profile). Once flat it will 1) freeze quickly so that you can move it to storage, 2) store easily because it is flat & hopefully somewhat thin, 3) thaw quickly, again, because it is thin, 4) thaw in the microwave easily from a frozen state.

I do NOT fully reheat in the plastic bag via the microwave. Once thawed I remove from the bag for further heating. I do NOT microwave for extended periods. On single portions I typically reheat for 15-20 seconds, stir/turn, 15-20 seconds, stir/turn...

Microwaves reheat beautifully, if you choose to use it properly.

Yes this deviates greatly from the question asked. Can a microwave do the job sure. I can open a can with a knife....not the best tool tho. Have i ever used the microwave, yes. One or 2 slices of brisket, enough pulled pork for a sammich. Sometimes convenience trumps quality.

If we are actually considering the original post then microwaving a whole brisket and a couple of racks of ribs isnt practical to say the least.

Ill make no claims of time and temp I'm a home cook and think fda guidelines range from archaic to overly simple to downright wrong at times.

Yes this deviates greatly from the question asked. Can a microwave do the job sure. I can open a can with a knife....not the best tool tho. Have i ever used the microwave, yes. One or 2 slices of brisket, enough pulled pork for a sammich. Sometimes convenience trumps quality.

If we are actually considering the original post then microwaving a whole brisket and a couple of racks of ribs isnt practical to say the least.

Ill make no claims of time and temp I'm a home cook and think fda guidelines range from archaic to overly simple to downright wrong at times.

I have worked with professional microwaves in commercial kitchens, I know how to use them, too.

As you say, it can be done, but it is time consuming, fiddly, and easy to change the texture of the product if not done on very low settings, and by then the time needed will be similar to rewarming in a water bath if the quantities are for more than a very few people.

I actually prefer warming in a low over, covered in foil, to microwaving for most BBQed meats.

I would never rule it out, I just do not recommend it if there is a ziplock bag and a pot handy, or a circulator.

I have worked with professional microwaves in commercial kitchens, I know how to use them, too.

As you say, it can be done, but it is time consuming, fiddly, and easy to change the texture of the product if not done on very low settings, and by then the time needed will be similar to rewarming in a water bath if the quantities are for more than a very few people.

I actually prefer warming in a low over, covered in foil, to microwaving for most BBQed meats.

I would never rule it out, I just do not recommend it if there is a ziplock bag and a pot handy, or a circulator.

The oven is a viable option especially with whole cuts or large pieces. On low wrapped.... maybe a broil at the end to reset the bark. Ive reheated half racks on the oven at 275 unwrapped with reasonable success.

The salt lick style mentioned earlier has the meat par smoked then finished later on the big pit with a mop.

Then again of what ive heard of salt lick im not sure they are who id emulate

Back