THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chezmatt

Full Fledged Farker
I've recently rescued a Weber Performer that has been sitting outside in the fog and rain for a few years. Fortunately, it was under a cover, so it's in pretty good shape. There was some ash in the kettle, so there's a lot of rust on the grates, and some in the kettle itself. Perhaps the biggest concern is a ring of rust along the bottom of the kettle lid, where it sits on the lower rim.

I know a lot of the Brethren have experience with rehabbing CL finds, so I was hoping for guidance on a few points:

1) What's the best way to clean up heavily rusted grill and charcoal grates? Should I use cleaners? Or just scrub away? I think some people let them soak in various cleaners and/or water. Any ideas?

2) Is there anything I can do about the rust on the lid that won't damage the enamel?

3) Is there anything I can/should do about the rust inside the kettle? It's by no means rusting through, there are just a few orange spots.

Thanks in advance!

i use a product you should be able to find at home depot called cleen strip phosphoric prep and etch to remove rust. $15/gal. good for old rusty tools also. not sure how it would affect the porcelain coating on the lid and bowl though. you might try leaving a rag soaked in some on a small test area. just till the rust is gone. same for tools. sort of leaves a parkerized type finish and helps protect from further rust.

i use a product you should be able to find at home depot called cleen strip phosphoric prep and etch to remove rust. $15/gal. good for old rusty tools also. not sure how it would affect the porcelain coating on the lid and bowl though. you might try leaving a rag soaked in some on a small test area. just till the rust is gone. same for tools. sort of leaves a parkerized type finish and helps protect from further rust.

Thanks for the advice. Is that going to be food safe on the cooking grate?

For the cooking grates, i give them a good brushing with a wire brush, rub them down with vinegar a time or two, then coat them up with vegetable oil and start a nice fire to "season" them a little oil on the grates each time I cook keeps them well seasoned.
I had a few inside surface rust spots on my WSM when I rescued it. I just cleaned it up with degreaser (like simple green) rinsed it out well and coated it with vegetable oil. No recurring rust in two + years.

Thanks for the advice. Is that going to be food safe on the cooking grate?

i don't see why not. it's a chemical reaction with the rust. a good rinse and brushing with a steel wire brush should remove anything you may be worried about. of course unless you have other uses for the etch you may just want to put that $15 into a new charcoal grate (about $11) and a new flip-up sides cooking grate (about $18 i think) and be done. z

Back