THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just my $.02... "Set and forget..." is a wonderful myth. Reality is, I've owned 3, including GMG and MAK and none have truly been set and forget. Actually, the most "set and forget" smoker I have is my Primo ceramic...no jams, no flame-outs, no running out of pellets, etc.
I say, forget about all the bells and whistles. No WiFi works trouble free and only adds to your cooking frustration, which there will be plenty of, just dealing with food and fire.

I have decided to buy a RecTec RT-590 Stampede. It fits better for my usage and storage confines as well as my future plans to build into a bar/outdoor kitchen.

It should be here sometime next week and I can't wait!

Great choice.:thumb::thumb: I couldn't be more happy with my 590.:clap2:
DanB

I am looking too. I have been considering Grilla Grills Grilla, Traeger Ironwood 650, Pit Boss vertical or grill and Rec Tec Stampede. Pit Boss are cheaper but seem to work very well and have a 5 year warranty now. Grilla Grills is coming out with wifi, Traeger Ironwood 650 is tempting but more money. Without bashing anyone as I am considering any of these, some suggest that there is less smoke flavor with Rec Tec and the PID controller. They make a killer grill though. I am not looking for heavy smoke flavor but I do like insulation that will help in the cold weather without using an insulated blanket. Green Mountain Grills had really good sales some months back on the lesser version and I was really tempted. I also prefer an upper rack with rails built in instead of just placing an extra rack on top of the main grid. Stupid stuff I know but it is what it is. Each cooker seems to offer advantages and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, it is just a matter of preference.

I cooked on a RecTec about 5 years and have no complaints, though did replace a lot of parts, all under warranty. Their customer service was above excellent. Florida weather killed it.

I now have a GMG Prime Jim Bowie which I am very happy with. Temp runs steady, the wifi app is great, especially adjusting temps. I use Lumberjack pellets and get excellent smoke with all my cooks. The headroom is also a big plus, turkeys fit with no problem. Big wheels are a big plus too. It is garage kept!

I only chose the GMG over another RecTec because I had my eye on them for awhile. Just wanted to try something different.

Back