THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chronos

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm looking to start making fermented sausages (Soppressata, pepperoni, etc.) and need a solid reasonably priced meat grinder.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Advice is appreciated.

I'm looking to start making fermented sausages (Soppressata, pepperoni, etc.) and need a solid reasonably priced meat grinder.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Advice is appreciated.

Will you be using the grinder as a stuffer as well?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002I5QHW/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Norpro Meat Grinder, Mincer, and Pasta Maker: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bgfMfgBcL.@@AMEPARAM@@41bgfMfgBcL[/ame]

I bought this to see how often I'd grind sausage and the like. I have yet to really get into stuffing sausages really, but the few times I have used it for that it's done the job well enough. The pasta cutter attachments are a joke; I hated them. I didn't buy it for that though; I bought it for grinding meat. It does an exceptional job at that. I've done as much as 25 pounds of ground beef and pork to make into sausage, and it's a champ.

Hand cranked, but it's a nice little workout, and super smooth to use.

I have a Kitchen Aid Mixer with all the attachments, including the grinder and sausage stuffer attachments, they work fine for the amount of sausage I do, four or five times a year. I like it because it is not a dedicated machine, the attachments I have are the grinder (anything you want to grind), stuffer, pasta maker, extruder, shredder (again anything you want to shred, cheese, cabbage, etc.) and a juicer. My family actually gave it all to me over several years, first the mixer and then attachments for birthday's, etc.

Yes. I assume so. Do you recommend something different?

Yes. I bought a waring pro grinder. Fit my needs as I don't use it very often. Most of these grinders can also be used as a stuffer. I never wanted to do sausage again after the first time I used the gender to grind and then stuff. I'm sure there are higher priced models that will do both jobs equally well, but I recommend getting a stuffer as well. I ended up getting a 5# Grizzly stuffer. Made a world of difference to have a dedicated grinder and a separate stuffer. It saved me some headaches. If you plan on doing lots of sausage often, go with good quality on each that will last. I do sausage 1 or maybe twice a year so the ones I got serve me fine.

Back