THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have to say, I was mighty disappointed in the RR brisket at New Holland. Like Sled's, mine was 8-9 lbs at best, and we were promised 15 lbs. It was an Excel select, just like you find at Wal-mart. Not sure what the big deal is.

That being said, I think it was cool of them to sponsor the event.

Hmmm...good question...I just took a look at the two packers in my freezer that RR gave us last weekend at the Duvall comp. Both are Excel brand selects...the same thing they gave us to cook last Saturday for the public sampling. I tell you one thing for sure...they cook up mighty tasty...:becky: Maybe fire off an e-mail to RR to kill your curosity...:cool:

Cooked up our free RR briskie the other day. Was fit enough for family (that's really all that matters around her most days)...of course, I'm betting anything would taste good after injecting with Butcher's and being covered with Bovine Bold! :wink:

Here's the scoop - Rancher's Reserve is a brand designation exclusive to Safeway produced by Cargill Meat solutions, who also brands under a whole host of names, including Excel, which is their lowest cost institutional food service brand.

In the West we have seen nice Briskets
Too bad that is not everyones experience

I beg to differ. The briskets that were handed out at the Vista, CA event, after 7pm on Friday night I might add, were all small and far below the advertised 15 lb. and up level.

Not to sound ungrateful, but I too was disappointed with the Excel brisket I got in New Holland. They came around in a cart and I rooted through 4 boxes of briskets and finally picked what I thought was the best of what was available. I wouldn't have bought this brisket in a store. 8-10 lbs at best and thin flat. I cooked that one and a flat from BJ's. We turned in the BJ's brisket. But then we didn't do well with that either.:p So maybe it didn't matter for us which one we turned in.

I'm sure every team that has collected Rancher's Reserve money this year has turned in the Rancher's Reserve brisket they received at the event.

(Wink, wink, nudge, nudge...)

I beg to differ. The briskets that were handed out at the Vista, CA event, after 7pm on Friday night I might add, were all small and far below the advertised 15 lb. and up level.

Well suffice is to say they have not put their best foot forward on this nationally
My RR Brisket was fine at both Stagecoach and Vista
That clearly was not your experience at Vista

The one we got at Westmont was only about 9 lbs., had almost no point to speak of, and appeared to have been cut by a blind butcher! Huge gash halfway through the flat. Will stick to the ones I get from RD in the future

On the other hand, it was free. For that price, a great bargain I guess

Well mine was a nice marbled 15# monster. I also had first choice ofvthe 10 cases... ahhh the benefits of home field advantage....

So everyone quit your beotching...

Well mine was a nice marbled 15# monster. I also had first choice ofvthe 10 cases... ahhh the benefits of home field advantage....

So everyone quit your beotching...

Scotties post would answer a lot of the threads questions

Stagecoach is my event My Son cooked a 15 ish Brisket I did not weigh it :)
Vista is my team mates event I cooked a 15 ish Brisket I did not weigh it ;)

In my first conversation with RR,
right after they came on line with the series
They had thoughts of supplying flats
I explained to them this was not the best idea
15 was a number pulled out of the air at that time

I hope everyone enjoyed their free brisket :)

Back