THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
George
My favorite order at Cuban restaurants (when they have it). This week a local market had them on sale for $6.80 (usually $11.00 at Publix) so I had to try it myself.
Marinated the meat in white cooking wine, olive oil seasoned with a teaspoon of salt over night. (My wife gags at the thought of oxtail so I threw in a few chunks of "London broil" meat for her.)
Browned the meat on the Camp Chef in the 12".
Removed the browned meat and sauteed the vegetables in same skillet.
Added the beef broth, tomato sauce and seasonings to the vegetables and pured over the meat in the slow cooker.
Six hours of cook at low produced one of the best fall-off-the bone oxtails I've had.
Simply delicious. Served with moros and platanos burro.

Last edited:
That looks AMAZING!!

I can’t imagine how good it made the house smell!

Love the oxtail George, just don't buy much anymore since it is more than a decent steak.

I've never had ox tail in any form.
This makes me want to change that.

But not at $11/# when it's mostly bone...Or is it?

I've never had ox tail in any form.
This makes me want to change that.

But not at $11/# when it's mostly bone...Or is it?

Lot of bone for sure (see attached) but there is a surprising amount of meat as well. I'm not a big eater anymore and two medium size tail segments will do me well for dinner. This particular load will be good for 2 or 3 more meals for the two of us. The raw weight of tail was 4# and I had to trim very little. The bone is from the piece shown on the plate so you can tell by the differing sizes that there is meat to eat on the bone.

Last edited:
Back