Quick question for Moose and the other pizza makers…

4ever3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
When talking about the Ooni and Roccbox size ovens, have you ever wished you had wood fired pizza?

In my reading and watching the whotube videos there is a general consensus that in those small ovens there is no taste difference between gas and wood given the fact that the pizzas cook so fast. It is also my understanding that a wood fired dome is a different animal because the fire is much larger and it allows the pie to take a smokey flavor.

Any truth to any of this?

Jeremy,

Given the heat level of a properly prepped WFO, there's really no smoke per se that's going to have any discernible impact on flavor, esp since the pizza is only in there a minute or two. I once dreamed of having a WFO, but when I realized how much work was involved compared to the convenience of a propane powered pizza oven, esp with how quickly one can start cooking pizza, I'm more than pleased with the direction I took.

My wife says she can tell a bit of difference on my Ooni pro with wood over gas.
I cannot tell any difference, but I still like to use wood at times.

I dont have a gas fired but cooked a wfo next to someone who has gas to crank out a bunch of pies. I detected slight difference in wfo in a Smokey charcoal flavor but not to pint where it makes huge difference in outcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've ate pizza at numerous wood fired joints and have never tasted the "wood". For me LP convenience trumps wood nostalgia.

Thanks y’all, you have confirmed what is on the world wide web but I trust y’all much more :thumb:

The only WFO I am looking at Moose is the new Done from Gozney because you don’t have to hold its hand as you build the fire like you don’t with a brick oven.

Thanks for the input y’all!

I've only felt the difference ever so slightly Jeremy. Since both wood and gas fired oven temps are so high and it's mainly the thermal heat that does the cooking there is no chance for wood to flavor or penetrate the dough. Doesn't help either that it only takes a couple mins to cook pizza anyway.

I still didn't have to try the wood burning attachment for my roccbox but I don't expect it to be any different flavor than the gas attachment gives me. Wood burning is only for the fun factor with the ovens available to us or ovens in question IMHO.

This is what I used as far as wood fired for comparison. A cheap terracota oven from World Market. I think I used it twice. :laugh:

XZ23KP8h.jpg

1glMnhXh.jpg

cha0BOBh.jpg

UvicIgVh.jpg

BizA2yuh.jpg

I don't have a pizza oven but, I use my MB560 running 650-700* using lump. Everyone notices a "wood fired" taste. It is not overpowering rather a nice kiss.

Back