THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another question related to the "tenderness affects taste" line of thinking, which I agree with. We used crappy Tyson family pack chicken (which I won't be doing again, mainly because they were all over the place in terms of size and quality), is it worth my while to buy organic, fancy chicken (either Publix organic, or Smart Chicken) to help with tenderness?

I hear ya. Our next contest is a Sam's Club qualifier, so I'm trying to improve just enough to get to 6th overall. The contest we just competed in was really to find out where we stood on scores.

We're cooking in that one, too!:thumb:

See you there.

Pat

Team OMFGBBQ

Another question related to the "tenderness affects taste" line of thinking, which I agree with. We used crappy Tyson family pack chicken (which I won't be doing again, mainly because they were all over the place in terms of size and quality), is it worth my while to buy organic, fancy chicken (either Publix organic, or Smart Chicken) to help with tenderness?

I use the big Tyson packs from Sam's club with good results. I go through every package to get one with consistent sizes and color. I haven't tried the grocery store packages.

The point of my statement was if the skin pulls off (per what was explained at the CBJ class and rep had said) should not effect the score. slimy or flabby is different, what if the skin is well "scraped" and tender or crispy comes off should that be scored down?

If you read the end of my comment, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. The fact that the skin pulled off or not shouldn't be a criteria to be judged on. The underlying factor of why it pulled off or not might be.

Personally when I judge, if the skin pulls off but tastes good and has a good texture, I will just eat the rest of the skin and give it good marks. This is rarely the case. Most of the time when the skin pulls off it is for a reason and disgusting.

Unfortunately we all know the reality is that bite through skin is a point of judgement by most judges, regardless of flavor and texture.

If you read the end of my comment, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. The fact that the skin pulled off or not shouldn't be a criteria to be judged on. The underlying factor of why it pulled off or not might be.

Personally when I judge, if the skin pulls off but tastes good and has a good texture, I will just eat the rest of the skin and give it good marks. This is rarely the case. Most of the time when the skin pulls off it is for a reason and disgusting.

Unfortunately we all know the reality is that bite through skin is a point of judgement by most judges, regardless of flavor and texture.

you are 100% correct! that makes us both right!:razz:

Nope, not saying that at all. Just saying when I took the judging class, they said to not judge down the chicken on its skin (whether rubbery or not).
I'm not trying to stir the pot, just saying what the instructors taught us in the judging class.

VERY interesting!!! I took my CBJ class over 4 years ago and we were told to bite through the skin and judge it along with the chicken as it is part of the entry. If it doesn't have bite through (or flaps against your chin) we are to score down on tenderness as it is a part of the entry. (Mike Lake was my instructor.)
My wife took her CBJ class 3 years ago and I sat in on it, and it again was explained the same - judge the skin as part of the entry. (Ron Harwell was her instructor.)
Maybe CBJ trainers are teaching something different these days, but you would think that something would be said in the judges meeting about the change.

The only statement that is on the recording concerning chicken skin is: "if presented with skin on, you should at least taste the skin". That's it.

One comment - I'd rather bite into a chicken thigh with NO skin than one that has poor bite through or flaps against my chin.

I am a certified KCBS judge.When I judge,I take ONE bite of each entry.Load it up,you only get one chance.Comp Q ain't everyday eating Q.

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
another question related to the "tenderness affects taste" line of thinking, which i agree with. We used crappy tyson family pack chicken (which i won't be doing again, mainly because they were all over the place in terms of size and quality), is it worth my while to buy organic, fancy chicken (either publix organic, or smart chicken) to help with tenderness?

yes!

VERY interesting!!! I took my CBJ class over 4 years ago and we were told to bite through the skin and judge it along with the chicken as it is part of the entry. If it doesn't have bite through (or flaps against your chin) we are to score down on tenderness as it is a part of the entry. (Mike Lake was my instructor.)
My wife took her CBJ class 3 years ago and I sat in on it, and it again was explained the same - judge the skin as part of the entry. (Ron Harwell was her instructor.)
Maybe CBJ trainers are teaching something different these days, but you would think that something would be said in the judges meeting about the change.

The only statement that is on the recording concerning chicken skin is: "if presented with skin on, you should at least taste the skin". That's it.

One comment - I'd rather bite into a chicken thigh with NO skin than one that has poor bite through or flaps against my chin.

There are so many variables in judging from who taught the class to how the reps seat judges to what kind of mood each particular judge is in that day, that if you think try to make sense of any of it, it'll drive you crazy. As hard as it is, you just have to turn in the best you can do that day and hope that all the stars align for good results.

Back