THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Guys, Instead of using thicker strips of pork butt, I made some Chinese char siu from spare rib flap meat. I'm ready to put a rack full on my Egg, I don't want to dry it out but want it tender. I'm starting at 250°.

'Ya think I can do the entire cook on the rack, or should I plan on moving to a foil pan or wrapping to tender it up?

Snouqyk.jpg

I think you could pull off the whole cook on the rack. Probably depends on what texture/tenderness you're going for.

I always cook the flap alongside the ribs and consider that a cooks snack/preview of what the ribs will taste like. Always turns out great, but isn't super moist.

Interested to see what you do and how they turn out!

I think you could pull off the whole cook on the rack. Probably depends on what texture/tenderness you're going for.

I always cook the flap alongside the ribs and consider that a cooks snack/preview of what the ribs will taste like. Always turns out great, but isn't super moist.

Interested to see what you do and how they turn out!

Yeah, me too. :biggrin1:

I know I won't get the same texture as butt strips, I just don't want to wind up with Chinese jerky :twitch: Hmmmm, although that might not be too bad.... I did put some thinner pieces on the skewers so I can sample along the way.

UKHvcal.jpg

There is a fine line between a failure and a lesson learned. For years I've subscribed to this simple philosophy.... before you serve barbecue to a house full of guests or the preachers wife...practice, practice, practice. Today I learned this applies to Chinese style BBQ as well.

Lesson learned: flap meat was not a good choice for what I was after. Even though agave nectar is lower in sugar than a hoisin/honey baste, it still has sugar, and sugar can darken in a heartbeat. The tops were darker than I planned on (so they were trimmed off). We loved the flavor, and since I mentioned jerky..... that is what it resembled. Plan B is to chill the meat and chop for fried rice.

Thank goodness we didn't have a full Chinese meal all lined up.

Char siu isn't really meant for low and slow smoking. Traditionally its not even smoked. Not saying it isn't good smoked. But you need to go hot and fast otherwise you'll end up with as you mentioned, jerky.

I like the looks of that rack/pan setup though. Is that something you made up, or an item to be found where I haven't looked?

I like the looks of that rack/pan setup though. Is that something you made up, or an item to be found where I haven't looked?

Sort of. The rack and pan were a jerky kit sold by Hi Mountain Seasonings, a local company. The back comes off the pan and mates with the pan.... all the skewers store inside, it's about 1.5" thick. The design is amazing. Sadly, it was discontinued many moons ago because their skewers would flake and warp. I made skewers from 309 stainless rods, and I made a clip so I can cook without the drip pan. The full set-up also works in the oven. You can drape bacon over the rods and bake it. The 8 or 10 people I bought Christmas presents for still use them.

qJJ0H0V.jpg

Yep, I goofed up all around. I did bump the pit temp, but that couldn't save me. Char sui pork butt is so good, it was a mistake to try and duplicate it.

2kvAL3t.jpg

What i would suggest if you want to take another stab at it. Hit it with some smoke (maybe an hour of low heat smoke. Then wrap and go low like you were doing ribs, then unwrap and hit it with some high heat (maybe on the grill) And baste or glaze.

That's usually how i do char siu rib tips along with the flap meat and both turn out wonderful.

Back