THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N

nonthink

I’m doing research on a Stoker.
Is the 5 c.f.m. fan sufficient enough for an 18 inch WSM, or should I upgrade to the 10 c.f.m.

I don't have a WSM, so I can't comment. But I will say that you won't regret having a little extra capacity if (when) you get a bigger pit. It's a whole lot cheaper to spend a few $$ now and upgrade than it is to buy a larger fan after the fact.

10 cfm is way too much for a WSM. I've got a 5 cfm for my WSM and a 5 cfm for my Superior SS-2. This way I can run both cookers at the same time if needed. I also have a spare blower in case one goes south at a contest.

I would stick with the 5 cfm. I have a 10 and I think it is to big for our smoker which is larger than either of those two. Call John at Rocks BBQ and ask him.

5 cfm is plenty for both the 18" and 22 1/2" WSM. You could get a 10 cfm for a 22 1/2" if you thought you might need more power for something later. Or if you do high heat cooks on the 22 1/2".

there is no need for the larger fan on either WSM. I just ran a cook on my 22" WSM and got 15 hours on a single load of charcoal using the stoker and the fan barely turned on for the majority of the cook.

FYI:

As it pertains to the 22.5 WSM, last week John advised I get a 10 cfm. Maybe he is wrong.

(For the 18, yes, the 5 is certainly the way to go and I am not sure anyone could argue with that.)

Again, I don't have a WSM, but has anyone with an 18.5" model used a 10 cfm fan and experienced negative results? It's obvious from the other posts that a 5cfm fan will work, but that doesn't mean that a 10cfm fan won't work too. If it works, then it may help get up to temp faster and make it easier to maintain temps in cold/wet/windy weather.

I have a 18 and a 22 WSM. I also have 5 and 10 cfm fans for the Stoker. I use both size fans on both smokers. Temps are the issue. The 18, 275 and under the 5 cfm is the ticket. The 22 250 and lower I use the 5 cfm. Higher temps I use the 10 cfm. The 10 will bring the WSM up to temp faster of course. So it is good for week day cooks.When doing all night cooks I use the 5 90% of the time and it keeps the pit within 10 degrees all night. Now pull the water pan run the 10cfm fan get the pit to 400 and do pizza.

I have a UDS and a 5cfm fan. No complaints. If it were bigger than a drum i would opt for a 10cfm.

Back