THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great time to be had by all. Thanks to everyone for stopping by for visit. The Big Ugly Tiki Bar, ver. 2, was a HUGE success, not to mention the pool was fully used throughout the weekend. Back-to-back wins for best booth, now if I could only learn to cook!

Got home last night, and fell into bed. Need a vacation to recover from my vacation.

Dude, yall rock! You had it goin on. Thanks for the hospitality. I'm still kicking myself in the arse for missing the MABA shot. :crazy: That would have totally helped my whole mindset and helped us build boxes.

I only live 35 minutes away from Small Country and I died when I got home. The heat really got to me this wknd. I can only imagine what you went thru.

Enjoyed it. Cant wait to do it again!!

Folks, I'm sorry, but I didn't take a lot of pics at this comp. It was just too hot and the competitors looked too busy. But here are a few pics that I did take.

Judges -

picture.php

It was hot, real hot -

picture.php

Crazy Rednecks' BBQ -

picture.php

3Eyz right before chicken turn in -

picture.php

Last edited:
Had a great time, I want to apoligize for the disturbance on Saturday night at our site. My 19 year old brother in-law got mouthy with his 35 year old brother and it escaladed into the 19 year old saying to his brother to "bring in on B!tch" well to make a long story short that is exactly what he did:boxing: I've had to lay down the law to them all if they can't have fun then stay the fark at home.

No worries, it happens. I didn't hear squat, must have been something I drank.............:doh: Teri & Kaiti told me about it the next morning, by that time all I wanted was a fan and a Gatorade.

Well I screwed up and didn't write down a list of member's Q names before attending the event, so I didn't know which booths to stop by to say hello. I saw CatsAss but I wasn't sure it was the same CatsButt on here and didn't want to make an butt out of myself by walking up and saying hello to someone who isn't a member here. :confused: Kept looking for any signs that had "Brethren" on it, to help me ID someone from here, but I never saw any.

I guess I pictured that things would be setup differently (not sure why) but my wife and I were rather lost when it came to figuring out who was who and we were disappointed that teams didn't offer samples for sale to the public. I really wanted to sample what the guys here make rather than what was offered at the Fire Dept. booth. No offense but I didn't care for the ribs they had for sale at all.

It was definitely hot.

Next year I'll make sure I write names down so I can stop by and say hello.

Catsass was right, its Brauma and beerguy. Wish you had stopped in. Youre welcome anytime. The sample thing has to do with supporting the fire dept caterers, as it is a fundraiser for them. Unless a competitor is also vending, we are NOT licensed by the health dept and therefore cannot pass out samples to the public. Hope this helps to clear that up.

Thanks guys. First time to such an event and I'm still learning the ins and outs of it all. I understand the fundraiser part, I was just looking forward to getting to sample some Q and talk with fellow members from here. I really wouldn't care if I got a half of a table spoon to sample from each team, just wanted to learn what types of spices etc... and the flavors from different woods. Many of you here have been doing this for years, I've just started working on building a smoker, got years of learning to do.

I saw the team that had the blowup swimming pool (my wife thought that was funny (in a good way) ).
Looks like ya'll have a great time for several days with your camp setups.

Guess the reason all the camps were at the back of each lot was to get away from the gravel road dust? (which makes sense). I saw that they were watering down the road to help keep the dust down.

Any events coming up in the next month within about 60-75 miles of Richmond ??

Well I screwed up and didn't write down a list of member's Q names before attending the event, so I didn't know which booths to stop by to say hello. I saw CatsAss but I wasn't sure it was the same CatsButt on here and didn't want to make an butt out of myself by walking up and saying hello to someone who isn't a member here. :confused: Kept looking for any signs that had "Brethren" on it, to help me ID someone from here, but I never saw any.

I guess I pictured that things would be setup differently (not sure why) but my wife and I were rather lost when it came to figuring out who was who and we were disappointed that teams didn't offer samples for sale to the public. I really wanted to sample what the guys here make rather than what was offered at the Fire Dept. booth. No offense but I didn't care for the ribs they had for sale at all.

It was definitely hot.

Next year I'll make sure I write names down so I can stop by and say hello.

The BBQ and Ribs were prepared by the BBQ teams and given to the Fire Department for sale. Sorry you didnt like the ribs. The ones I had were fantastic.

Sucky ribs happen from time to time, if you don't think so then you should have tried mine :shocked: The judges felt the same way about them that I did.

Unless a competitor is also vending, we are NOT licensed by the health dept and therefore cannot pass out samples to the public.

It is however okay to give samples to family and friends. Being part of the wonderful thing called the BBQ Brethren Forums could be considered both. Even though I have not met 99.3% of the members, any Brethren member is always welcome at my site for a sample, a beer, or just semi-good conversation.

The BBQ and Ribs were prepared by the BBQ teams and given to the Fire Department for sale. Sorry you didnt like the ribs. The ones I had were fantastic.

When I was standing in line there was a guy working the smoker next to the trailer and he was pulling pans and running them inside the trailer while I was there. He also had two rest boxes that were full of Q also.

Again, no offense to whoever made the ribs but when my wife takes 1 bite and passes the remaining 4 ribs to me, I know something isn't right, she loves BBQ.

I would never think of posting a response like this but I can't help it in this case.

River Lizard...Are you kidding me? Even after Bill informed you some of the teams donated their time and efforts to provide for this you again had to make another comment about how you didn't like the ribs you received. Unbelievable. I am assuming you are on this board because you either cook or enjoy bbq. I would assume that next bbq charity event you will be there to volunteer and provide the best damn ribs anyone has ever had. Afterwards I hope someone doesn't come around to post, multiple times, how they didn't like them.

A Brethren banner is definitely on my list! High on my list. BeerGuy doesnt know it yet.

This is one of the coolest things Bill does. He buys a bunch of meat and asks teams with extra space to cook for the fire dept. I think it's cool as chit and a hell of a great idea. We can doctor the meat right along with our other comp meats. Sorry you got a bad rib. It happens.

I saw the team that had the blowup swimming pool (my wife thought that was funny (in a good way) ).

Um, that would be a Mr. Big Ugly. :thumb: I'm not going to say whether or not I graced the pool one night, but I did play a mean game of bean bag toss. Note: I refuse to call it corn hole because where I come from, that name has a whole different meaning. :shock:

Guess the reason all the camps were at the back of each lot was to get away from the gravel road dust? (which makes sense). I saw that they were watering down the road to help keep the dust down.

Yes & no. A lot of teams want to be back from the wandering crowd. Sometimes energetic, intoxicated fans will feel like they have every right to roll right into your camp and help themselves. I've never seen it at Que & Cruz but it has been an issue at other events. Most teams will setup the same way each time by habit.

Any events coming up in the next month within about 60-75 miles of Richmond ??

There is a rib shoot out this coming wknd up by Kings Dominion at the new State Fair. Sorry, I had a link but cant find it. I cant make it this wknd.

Sept 11 is the West VA championship. It's the same wknd as RIR and the 1st VT football game. Lots going on. But this event is called Pickin in the Panhandle and it's also the state bluegrass festival. We love it. Ricky Skaggs will headline this year. Cant wait.

Last edited:
The water on the road was more to keep the dust down for the car show.

I would never think of posting a response like this but I can't help it in this case.

River Lizard...Are you kidding me? Even after Bill informed you some of the teams donated their time and efforts to provide for this you again had to make another comment about how you didn't like the ribs you received. Unbelievable. I am assuming you are on this board because you either cook or enjoy bbq. I would assume that next bbq charity event you will be there to volunteer and provide the best damn ribs anyone has ever had. Afterwards I hope someone doesn't come around to post, multiple times, how they didn't like them.

Guess you missed the no offense part (by choice?) should I have BS'd and said they were good? Didn't say anything like: "Those ribs were krap, I could smoke better ones in my sleep" now did I? Again, I didn't mean anything towards WHOEVER did them, I was just stated an opinion of my wife and I on them. And that we were just disappointed that we didn't get to taste ones from teams here (directly) and that was probably mainly my fault for not writing down the team names before going to the event, but again, this was the first one I attended, it's not the first time I've ate ribs before! From Chicago to Omaha to Texas.....had them many places, some better than others.
Sounds like your nerves are too close to the surface, life's too short.

Moving on:

Brauma

I saw the bean bag toss, thought that was a cool idea to have at a camp setup for the weekend.
Yep, I was looking for any type of Brethren sign whether it was small or large to ID members from here, but never saw one.

I can see your point on people just walking up to your setup if it was located right by the road/path people are walking on. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to walk back to each setup and ask if they were a member here or not, would have been ackward if I found out they weren't and stroll up to their setup like that. Especially when I saw turn-ins going on when we were there, probably not the best time to stop by anyway with the comp going on.

Thanks for the info on upcoming events, might check out Kings Dominion one if I don't have anything else going on this weekend. Going to be another hot one this weekend.

Slamdunkpro:

That makes sense on the cars and the dust, didn't even think about that.

... and stroll up to their setup like that. Especially when I saw turn-ins going on when we were there, probably not the best time to stop by anyway with the comp going on.

True. Keep this time-line in mind: at any KCBS comp, keep your distance between 11:30 and 1:30. Any other time, feel free to walk up and talk BBQ with anyone.

Mark, thanks again for that sign/light! It has a temporary place above the BU Tiki Bar ver I, in my man-cave. We are taking it with us on the road, when we set the bar up. I'll post some pics later on.

Mark, thanks again for that sign/light! It has a temporary place above the BU Tiki Bar ver I, in my man-cave. We are taking it with us on the road, when we set the bar up. I'll post some pics later on.

You're quite welcome. I'm glad you can use it. Looking forward to seeing it in action!

Back