THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jlondon

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey folks,

Wondering if anyone can recommend a gas grill that can be hooked up/configured for natural gas. I've been leaning towards the Weber Genesis series, but thought I'd run it by the Brethren here for some expert opinions. Thoughts anyone?

I'm more of a smoker and charcoal griller, but a little while back I was gifted an old gas grill by a neighbor (they retired and moved). I found the gas grill useful for quick grilling (even in inclement weather) and plan to keep one on hand. I dislike having to deal with the gas tanks, however...and now that I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel, I figured I'd have my contractor run a gas line outside for a grill. My current gas grill (an old, cheap Sears/Kenmore unit) isnt set for s natural gas hookup, hence my interest in a replacement. [sorry for the long winded backstory].

Any thoughts/advice would be most appreciated.
-J

All I can offer is that Nat Gas has a lower BTU output than Propane. Here at our local nat gas supplier they offer grills specifically designed for nat gas that do not require new regulators and burner orifices. You may want to check to see if that option is available in your area.

Good Luck!

I have a Weber Genesis E-310 natural gas grill, and I'm very happy with it. I don't have a lot of room on my patio, so I chose this one. It's smaller than the E-330 NG, and doesn't have the side burner, which I didn't need. The E-310 only has 32,000 BTUs as opposed to the 330's 38,000 BTUs, but it will still get plenty hot, believe me. I don't need 700*, but it can get you there if you like. I love the cast iron grate, and can get really nice grill marks on my steaks with it. Because there's no propane tank underneath, the lower cabinet is empty, and I can store a ton of supplies and wood in there. It's solid, and well built. My only complaint is that they could have spent an extra couple bucks to make nicer control knobs on the front panel. They feel kind of chintzy. Haven't had any trouble with them, but for what you pay, they could have made them more substantial. Their customer service has been excellent, so no complaints there. I'd buy this one again in a heartbeat.

The Lion gas grills look like a great choice, if the budget allows. Otherwise, the Weber Genesis 330 is a unit you will not be disappointed with. The ones built for natural gas get plenty hot enough to sear a steak.

I love my Genesis natural gas, I ve had it for 5 years now and she sits outside with no cover and she looks brand new, since i bought my performer i only use it to clean the performer craycort CI grate.

i have a 4 burner weber summit - have for several years. works pretty well, can push it to a max of about 700º. only two downsides are: 1) it's hard to clean out the inside and 2) i'm getting surface rust in the stainless.

POTOMAC, MARYLAND??? THERE is a guy GIVING AWAY
his Genesis Gold, both flaps, (on cl) for $40 and NO ONE WILL BUY IT because it's NG!
I suspect you saw the ad. GET IT! it's easy to hook up Nat Gas, but is not as hot as Propane. So What.
BUY IT. It's in great shape.

POTOMAC, MARYLAND??? THERE is a guy GIVING AWAY
his Genesis Gold, both flaps, (on cl) for $40 and NO ONE WILL BUY IT because it's NG!
I suspect you saw the ad. GET IT! it's easy to hook up Nat Gas, but is not as hot as Propane. So What.
BUY IT. It's in great shape.
If the grill was set up properly for Natural Gas, with the correct regulator and gas orifices, you CAN generate just as much heat as with propane. It just takes more Natural Gas to do so.
But, since natural gas is generally quite a bit cheaper than propane, So what?

If you go Genesis (and there is no reason you shouldn't) pay the extra $50 for the EP series rather than just the E series that the big box stores carry.
The EP gives you 7mm stainless steel rod grates and stainless steel flavorizer bars. You can get the EP from grill stores or Ace Hardware. Only downside is that the NG Genesis only comes in black.

Natural gas is very convenient. I like Weber stuff. Their support is excellent and I love the fact that since they're so popular you can buy aftermarket parts on ebay or at Home Depot. Like thick stainless flavorizer bars for example.

But the single most important thing you want is a grill where the burners run front to back, NOT side to side. If they run front to back you can just light one on one end and use that for a hot zone and have the other end be a cool zone. Side-to-side burners don't work as well for this. Also recommend the Genesis with 3 burners not just the 2 burner one. Those are a tad wimpy.

seattlepitboss

Back