Putting Mak 1 Star c flame zone thru it’s paces...

I am not a Mak user, but I would say you would want the additional top grate, and the front shelf. Shelf isn't as necessary, but it is nice to have a place to hold your pan, while adding and removing meat. Both of which, are standard on the Yoder, by the way. Also, I would get a couple different sizes, of Amaze-n-Tubes.

:thumb:

I'm telling you. I included the top grate, don't care for the shelves and I alreadu have the Amaze N tray. :laugh:

The Yoder YS640 with the comp cart is tempting also. But I've seen the Yoder issues mentioned come up quite a few times.

Thanks Robb!

I remember you did quite a bit of research before buying your MAK. I'm very tempted. I'm not worried about searing because I won't use it for that. Any essential accessories you'd recommend just to use it for smoking?

A 3/4 or full upper grate. Unless I am cooking a lot of meat, I do all of my smoking on the full upper grate with a drip pan underneath. Love it! And of course a cover. Other than that, the rest is nice, but not an absolute need in my opinion. If you go with the 2 Star, it’s gonna come with a lot of the bells and whistles that would be extra on the 1 Star. If you were to go with a MAK, are you thinking 1 or 2 Star?

Also, don't overlook the searing option. I know you have many ways of doing it, but it is very convenient. It's a nice tool to have in the box, on late night, or spur of the moment cooks.

Thanks Robb!

I remember you did quite a bit of research before buying your MAK. I'm very tempted. I'm not worried about searing because I won't use it for that. Any essential accessories you'd recommend just to use it for smoking?

A 3/4 or full upper grate. Unless I am cooking a lot of meat, I do all of my smoking on the full upper grate with a drip pan underneath. Love it! And of course a cover. Other than that, the rest is nice, but not an absolute need in my opinion. If you go with the 2 Star, it’s gonna come with a lot of the bells and whistles that would be extra on the 1 Star. If you were to go with a MAK, are you thinking 1 or 2 Star?

I'm eyeing the 1 Star but the bells and whistles on the 2 star are tempting. Plus the SS.

Just curious...what are your “searing” expectations? Same as a screaming hot pile of lump charcoal? A decent gas grill kinda sear? Or ?? I have the MAK sear grates, and they make a big difference. A cast iron griddle would also make a huge difference. Just some thoughts... [emoji4]

a respectable 'week-night' steak...

i've got a dedicated infrared head on my gasser that gets to 1200 degrees, and i can go santa-maria style inches away from roaring coals on up to about 4 feet above on my offset firebox (with warmer box plate removed) for those killer steaks... + little weber jumbo joe.

i did get the mak searing grates and the griddle and have an arsenal of cast iron i can throw in there... i would like respectable sear marks and good browning for a solid wood fired steak during the week.

I'm eyeing the 1 Star but the bells and whistles on the 2 star are tempting. Plus the SS.

I get it, believe me! I’ve had both, and currently have the 2 Star. I love both. For pure smoking, it’s hard to beat the 1 Star.

I get it, believe me! I’ve had both, and currently have the 2 Star. I love both. For pure smoking, it’s hard to beat the 1 Star.

I appreciate the help Robb. What's the capacity like on the 1 star? Both with the full optional grate and w/out. In terms of briskets or ribs how many can you fit with and w/out the full upper grate?

Sako - RWalters nailed it. memphis didn't have anything in size i was looking for that wasn't $$$$$$. they do get hot. they don't put out as much smoke i'm told. i came damned close to getting a yoder (and have cooked a bit on one and they are tanks) but felt that Mak controller was better, i like the wifi (pre-program and check on things while running errands), Mak uses less pellets, Mak gets to temp faster (that heavy steel takes a while on Yoder), Mak doesn't have paint issues, Mak runs more even temps side to side (do like the yoder firepot design but off to the one side with stack leaving upper grate level other side = temp variance even with the damper). i figured now that 1star is same dimensions as 2 star all i'd really be adding is a bit of head room on 2nd rack in front and back, stainless, and cold smoke box for the $$. i cold smoke on the LSG (micro fire or amazen tubes), stainless not a big deal to me, headroom difference would only matter if trying to stand up chickens wall to wall. and paying less for 1 star i could get it tricked out... which i did. i have seen NO need to augment the smoke in the Mak. and i've added smoke tubes or mojo bricks to all my prior pellet grills.

Got it! MAK 1 fits the bill for me. Thanks for help! I think I'm pretty much SOLD!!!!!

Sako - RWalters nailed it. memphis didn't have anything in size i was looking for that wasn't $$$$$$. they do get hot. they don't put out as much smoke i'm told. i came damned close to getting a yoder (and have cooked a bit on one and they are tanks) but felt that Mak controller was better, i like the wifi (pre-program and check on things while running errands), Mak uses less pellets, Mak gets to temp faster (that heavy steel takes a while on Yoder), Mak doesn't have paint issues, Mak runs more even temps side to side (do like the yoder firepot design but off to the one side with stack leaving upper grate level other side = temp variance even with the damper). i figured now that 1star is same dimensions as 2 star all i'd really be adding is a bit of head room on 2nd rack in front and back, stainless, and cold smoke box for the $$. i cold smoke on the LSG (micro fire or amazen tubes), stainless not a big deal to me, headroom difference would only matter if trying to stand up chickens wall to wall. and paying less for 1 star i could get it tricked out... which i did. i have seen NO need to augment the smoke in the Mak. and i've added smoke tubes or mojo bricks to all my prior pellet grills.

I appreciate the help Robb. What's the capacity like on the 1 star? Both with the full optional grate and w/out. In terms of briskets or ribs how many can you fit with and w/out the full upper grate?

the grid dimensions are 429sqin; ALL usable space with flame zone (no dripping over side). 19.75x21.5+ i think... key is that it's even and all usable. X2 with upper grate. haven't loaded it up so not sure but would guess 2 smaller briskets on a single level, easily 4-6 butts depending on size and how close you stack'em. 3 racks of baby backs per grate.

the full and 3/4 upper grates are both great (hah!)

3 racks of St Louis ribs placed flat per full grate. 4 decent sized butts per full grate. 2 smaller briskets or one humongous per full grate. Not that it was ever an issue for me, but the lid is different on the 2 Star. The 1 Stars lid has a sharp 45° angle at the front. This may cut into your room to spread out if you often need to load it down with that much BIG meat. If that’s rarely a need, than you’ll be absolutely fine.

Speaking of ribs, MAK offer a super nice rib rack if you need it. 8 slabs per rib rack, which means you could stuff up to 16 racks on the top/bottom grates of a MAK. That’s pretty impressive.

Oh yeah!!!

You guys are tempting me. A pellet rig is the only type of cooker I'm missing. I've been in between Yoder, Mak, Memphis Pro. Why did you guys go Mak??
I decided to go with the 1 Star because of it's small foot print and it can still cook a good amount of food, Lantern sold me on the Flame Zone and full upper grate. The design of the FZ forces all the heat from the burn pot up into the grill, so it gets to temps quicker and works more efficiently. Lantern also told me that I could use the full upper grate on the bottom and use one of the bottom grates as a half on top if needed. Been up in the air about the bottom storage rack but after sleeping on it I'm going to add it to the grill.

Is the flame zone a $400 add on or is that just for the older models.

I was cruising their site and I was a little confused because it said 2016 and previous.

Last edited:
Another thing the new Funnel Flame Zone does... something that I really like... is that it keeps the intense direct heat away from the exterior walls of the cooking chamber (it forces the heat up, away from the walls). IMO, that will help tremendously in the long run with wear and tear/discoloration on the exterior cooking chamber walls.

Back