THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smokeat

is one Smokin' Farker
Smoking a 9 lb Boneless Butt, and my first 9 lb 7bone bone-in chuckie! Was originally going to only do the chuck roast, but I chickened out and did a butt also, so if I fark the beef up I will still feed people.

Temp probe was in the pork, wrapped both at 170 and pulled the butter-probed butt at 207. About 7 hrs at ~250.

Chuck did have resistance upon probing, and was only 189 in some spots. so back in the wrap and in the kamado. Should I probe again at 205?

I've got the butt wrapped and in a cooler. Will put the beef in when done/probe-tender.

So should I pull both at home, or at venue? It's 3 pm now, will probably eat at 7:30 pm. I'm not used to feeding the masses! Thanks for the help. Dave

I'd pull there. In my opinion you get a better quality product and I feel like it's more impressive to the people eating to see it pulled by hand.

I agree! People love to get that blast of pork aroma when you break open a pork butt. However, if you're cooking for a large crowd, and are providing sides, and you're serving up the round or so, you may need to pull and pan beforehand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull at venue, just make sure you have your pork stock or juices in a squirt bottle incase its dry. It adds to the showmanship imo , then just dumping out of a pan or w/e.

Thanks everyone! Pulling at the gathering was the right call, meat was steaming hot from the cooler, 3+ hours after it was out of the smoker. Added benefit was when everyone smelled the stuff, they all came over and I doled out samples and got to collect the accolades.

Which is in stark contrast to the rest of the potluck at which once all the foodstuffs were laid out, no one really even knew (or cared) which pile was pork, and which was beef. Hell, the hot dogs were as popular as the smoked meats.

That is not to knock the eaters at the potluck, it just is easy to get discouraged when you forget that most people are not food obsessed. You know, like people who hang out on food oriented websites, and try to appreciate what awesome stuff that the folks are cooking, and what new equipment they have, and trying to help those others who have questions about techniques or machines about which we can share our knowledge.

This is not meant to be a rant, because I do understand. If someone at a party was into sewing, for instance, and was wearing some fantastic clothing that they made themselves, I might not notice or appreciate the work put into their outfit.

In conclusion, I just have to say that I really like to feed others, and I also enjoy interacting with like minded kooks, err, I mean cooks.

I realize this thread is about done but wanted to add a good reason to pull at the venue.

The whole butt will remain well above the danger zone for bacteria for hours after it's done. When pulled it would've cooled quickly and you may have needed an oven.

Lately I've been cooking butts for a gathering the following day. In that case I pull it at home just cuz I still get a kick out of shredding the fresh pork! :wink:

Back