THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whitfield

Knows what a fatty is.
My dad is being awesome and giving me his grill that he built from a large propane tank. The cooking chamber dimensions are approximately 25" X 80". Both cooking grates will slide out. I am divided on a few points of my conversion to an offset smoker. What size should I make the firebox and how large should I make the opening to the cooking chamber? Also, I am torn between using a Lang style reverse flow shelf or making a baffle and tuning plates. Ideally, I would like to have the option of using it as a grill too so I'm leaning towards the removableble tuning plates. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

Trust me, full length or at least center fired box is best for uniform heat and less work.

A full length fire box runs along the back of the cooker like this:

DSCF4669.jpg

Personally bro, I have never seen one centered in the middle. I would go with either the full length or an offset box. :thumb:

lang60.jpg

Thanks, the full length box just threw in a whole new wrench. I was having a hard enough time deciding between RF or tuning plates. If I went with a full legth fire box would I just do a modified version of a baffle and tuning plates??? I have a small offset so I'm more familiar with that design.

Ok, so it looks like I'm going with an offset box. From the BBQ calculator it looks like I should make my firebox about 24" square with an opening from the firebox to the cooking chamber approximately 5" X 20" and 2 - 5" circular inlets on the firebox.

My biggest question at this point is whether I should use a reverse flow design or if I should go with tuning plates? I would like to have the option of using this cooker as a grill so that leads me to believe that removable tuning plates would be the best design but I'm not positive that I am correct here. :confused: Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't think you would need an 80 in" firebox.????? For offset a 24x24 shoyld be fine if you wanted to get real creative build a 24x24 firebox and set the cooker on top of firebox, I have built five of these ,work wonderful

I wouldn't think you would need an 80 in" firebox.????? For offset a 24x24 shoyld be fine if you wanted to get real creative build a 24x24 firebox and set the cooker on top of firebox, I have built five of these ,work wonderful

The whole cooking chamber is 80" long. I plan to make the firebox a 24" x 24" square. Do you have any pics of the cooker on top of the firebox? Just curious, sounds like more of a project than I'm prepared for.

Any advice on RF vs. tuning plates???

Also, is ther a certain type of metal I should use for the firebox?

Last edited:
Here you go I think the firebox is 18x21x 1/4 On you cooker you would need at least 24x24x1/4 firebox. On one as big as your you would nee a larger base to set firebox on
DSCN9827-1.jpg

Back