THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sknabnoj

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Jon
Ok, so I bought a King Keg a few months ago and I have absolutely loved it, I have smoked on her, done pizza, seared steaks, you name it. Anyway, bought me a big bag of Royal Oak lump the other day and the few cooks I've done on it have been awkward. I did some chicken wings with a simple rub and last night did some kabobs with teriyaki steak chunks and veggies tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper. The wings had a slight off/ propane taste, which I thought was wierd but, oh well. I didn't think much of it until I did my Kabobs last night and the skewers were basically inedible with the taste of propane or stale smoke or something.

Anyway, has something changed in the way I'm cooking or did I just get a bad bag of lump? That's the only thing I can think of...

Here are some other things to help you diagnose what's goign on:

- Lump was lit with a small weber wax cube
- Not all the lump was burned white but, I didn't think this mattered much
- No wood was added for either cook
- I was cooking at higher temperatures than normal

Any Ideas? I hate to waste a bag of lump, it's the extra large bag but, if that's what you think is goign on I don't have much of a choice.

Is it possible that any cleaning products were used on the grates or interior of the keg that didn't get thoroughly burned off, or maybe the gasket heating higher than normal?

Is it possible that any cleaning products were used on the grates or interior of the keg that didn't get thoroughly burned off, or maybe the gasket heating higher than normal?

I haven't cleaned the grates, there really hasn't been anythign to clean. I generally let the keg burn off after to clean out anything left over from the cook. I'm wondering if higher temps caused it? Although the temperatures weren't really all that high?

Ok, so I bought a King Keg a few months ago and I have absolutely loved it, I have smoked on her, done pizza, seared steaks, you name it. Anyway, bought me a big bag of Royal Oak lump the other day and the few cooks I've done on it have been awkward. I did some chicken wings with a simple rub and last night did some kabobs with teriyaki steak chunks and veggies tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper. The wings had a slight off/ propane taste, which I thought was wierd but, oh well. I didn't think much of it until I did my Kabobs last night and the skewers were basically inedible with the taste of propane or stale smoke or something.

Anyway, has something changed in the way I'm cooking or did I just get a bad bag of lump? That's the only thing I can think of...

Here are some other things to help you diagnose what's goign on:

- Lump was lit with a small weber wax cube
- Not all the lump was burned white but, I didn't think this mattered much
- No wood was added for either cook
- I was cooking at higher temperatures than normal

Any Ideas? I hate to waste a bag of lump, it's the extra large bag but, if that's what you think is goign on I don't have much of a choice.

Is your top exhaust vent fully open?

If your exhaust vent is restricted than can cause poor combustion. Although it is not as common with charcoal as with wood because charcoal has most of the impurities removed in the process of making it. The quality of charcoal varies not only from type to type, but also from brand to brand. Poor combustion can cause an off flavor because it leaves microscopic (sometimes larger) deposits of soot on your food giving a bitter taste.

If you are sure it is nothing bad in the rub, and your exhaust vent is fully open and not restricted in any manner, and you are controlling the temperature only from the front vent, then I would call Royal Oak and take the charcoal back telling them it's bad charcoal giving an off flavor to the food and get another brand.

I usually let the lump burn until all the heavier white smoke has dissipated, so by then the charcoal is starting to fully ash over. I will then close the lid on the cooker and adjust the dampers to temp before adding food. I noticed on your OP, the charcoal didn't ash over. Hope this helps.

I will weigh in with the poor combustion crowd, only because I have had the same issue on my Kamado Joe. The trick is to keep the top vent all the way open. When the chicken fat starts to render out onto the coals you will almost always get that odd taste. If you keep the top vent all the way open not an issue for me. I have also had it happen with burgers.

Not sure on how much you had going, but a few chicken breasts no issue, or a few burgers no issue. But if I load it up with thighs, legs, breasts, or whole chickens it can be an issue. Or if I load it up with burgers it can be an issue.

Keep that top vent wide open.

Ok thanks guys, I'm pretty sure i had the vent wide open but, I'm going to try something else at least one more time and make sure it wasn't something in the rub and make sure the vent is open. thanks again

Poor combustion. I've found when using briquettes you need to leave the exhaust wide open and control your fire with intake air. I always wait until I have stable temps for at least 30 minutes before adding meat in order to let the white smoke subside a bit. Also if your temp is swinging and you are chasing it, even with a guru, you tend to get that taste. A water pan will always help stabilize temp, especially on a windy day. Make small adjustments and don't stress over high or low temps. Let the temp comeback slowly.

On the other hand with a stick burner you need to use a bit of exhaust control to keep your burn right. It's part of the art.

Back