THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

that is my point... bbq i not just tomato bases sauces but everyone thinks it is.. that is not the truth at all... glazes and sweet rubs can be bbq.. bbq can be anything you want it to me as long as it is cook low and slow as they say...

but that is the problem with the judges.. they think bbq should be ribs slopped with bbq sauce.. that is not the way it should be.. you should HAVE to make your own rubs... you should have to make your own sauces... and there should be no saucing.. saucing is an excuse to cover your meat.. that why you can go to any bbq joint in the country and get your ribs nakes with nothing on them..

that is real bbq.. not slopped with sauce..

And that's just "Your Opinion". You can't turn in turtle soup at a chili competition and expect to win so you shouldn't turn in some whacked out flavor profile in a KCBS competition and expect to win.

And that's just "Your Opinion". You can't turn in turtle soup at a chili competition and expect to win so you shouldn't turn in some whacked out flavor profile in a KCBS competition and expect to win.

you can turn in turle based chili.. it doesnt matter.. it is still cooked in the same matter.. that is the problem...

i turned in some "whacked flavors" as my first backyard bbq competition which was judges by all "PROFESSIONAL" teams and i won grand champion along with 1st place ribs and 1st place chicken.. so how does that add up????

good pallets are good pallets... bbq has nothing to do with ketchup.. kethchup is for hot dogs and hamburgers.. not bbq.

I understand your concern, but in your topic heading you say " professional judging" I think that's where people who have a problem with judging are confused. There is no such thing as a "professional" bbq judge, just as there is no such thing as a " professional" bbq team. You invest alot of time and money into this and you expect the best results, so does the next guy. I am positive that your best barbecue can go against anyone's best in the country, thats the case with everyone. If you are able to put out a product that is exactly how you would like, its going to score well. Just always try to put your best out and don't worry who is eating it, because if its good, its good.

Sounds to me that your idea of BBQ is somewhat different than the norm. Thus your taste buds are crap, and everbody else is doing ok.......
ModelMaker
Don't start bustin nads fresh out of the gate. There's a reason the constant winners are constant winners.

I am by no means a veteran but I can tell you this simple fact:

You/we were at a K-C-B-S sanctioned BBQ event. Kansas City-style BBQ is sweet and smoky. Plain and simple.

While the judges are not necessarily KC natives, they are generally aware of the flavor profile and stick to it. They also talk amongst themselves and reinforce it with newer judges.

These events are run by the KCBS with judges that (for the most part) are trained BY the KCBS, eating food cooked and presented by KCBS members who know what this means.

There are 100s of styles of BBQ across the US and the world (read Raichlen's books and you'll see). These events are focused on ONE style and we need to cook to that style in order to do well.

Cheers.

Ketchup has no place on a hot dog but I guess that's an argument for another thread.

What is a professional bbq team ?

if you get paid if you win it is a professional competition.. hands down..

The thread title is mine. I split this topic off from another thread. If the original poster has another title that the feel accurately represents their thoughts they can let me know and I'll make the change to the title.

I understand your concern, but in your topic heading you say " professional judging" I think that's where people who have a problem with judging are confused. There is no such thing as a "professional" bbq judge, just as there is no such thing as a " professional" bbq team. You invest alot of time and money into this and you expect the best results, so does the next guy. I am positive that your best barbecue can go against anyone's best in the country, thats the case with everyone. If you are able to put out a product that is exactly how you would like, its going to score well. Just always try to put your best out and don't worry who is eating it, because if its good, its good.

I am by no means a veteran but I can tell you this simple fact:

You/we were at a K-C-B-S sanctioned BBQ event. Kansas City-style BBQ is sweet and smoky. Plain and simple.

While the judges are not necessarily KC natives, they are generally aware of the flavor profile and stick to it. They also talk amongst themselves and reinforce it with newer judges.

These events are run by the KCBS with judges that (for the most part) are trained BY the KCBS, eating food cooked and presented by KCBS members who know what this means.

There are 100s of styles of BBQ across the US and the world (read Raichlen's books and you'll see). These events are focused on ONE style and we need to cook to that style in order to do well.

Cheers.

That is correct.. but why just kansas city bbq? so if you are from kansas city you should always win since you are local correct? There is no standard on bbq and just because everyone in kansas city makes their bbq sauces with a tomato base doesnt mean that it is a world wide thing like you said and the judges should judge accordingly..

The thread title is mine. I split this topic off from another thread. If the original poster has another title that the feel accurately represents their thoughts they can let me know and I'll make the change to the title.

Oops, my mistake. I still subscribe to the theory that if you just put out your best, you will win, no matter who the judges are.

Oops, my mistake. I still subscribe to the theory that if you just put out your best, you will win, no matter who the judges are.

i hope i get to try your stuff in philly!! hoping to make it out there to check it out!!

I could think of a few:rolleyes:

SirSmokeALot's "First (and probably last) time judging"

Read this post for similar deep stuff from the other side of things...

First (and probably last) time judging (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last Page)

All the best to cooks and judges....

wow that wasabi glaze goes great with sweet rub..
If I went into a BBQ joint and was served ribs with a wasabi glaze, I'd be kicking someone's ass. However, if I went into a 2-Michelin Star restaurant and was served the same dish, I imagine I'd probably enjoy it.

Now, if you were turning that in on Iron Chef, perhaps you'd do very well. Unfortunately, most KCBS judges aren't going to have the same palate as a Mario Batali or Ferran Adria. I am learning that the key is to cozy up to those that do very well consistently and try to learn what it is that the judges are looking for. From there, I'll play with the flavors a bit, but I want to keep the base the same. If I decide to go completely outside the normal flavor profile, even if it turns out extraordinary, I am prepared to accept the results.

Don't think for a second that I am completely opposite of you in my feelings of KCBS judging. I have become a huge fan of IBCA events where the judges are basically just pulled from the crowd...no preconceived ideas about specifics they are looking for. They just tell you whether or not your BBQ tastes like good BBQ.

If I went into a BBQ joint and was served ribs with a wasabi glaze, I'd be kicking someone's ass. However, if I went into a 2-Michelin Star restaurant and was served the same dish, I imagine I'd probably enjoy it.

Now, if you were turning that in on Iron Chef, perhaps you'd do very well. Unfortunately, most KCBS judges aren't going to have the same palate as a Mario Batali or Ferran Adria. I am learning that the key is to cozy up to those that do very well consistently and try to learn what it is that the judges are looking for. From there, I'll play with the flavors a bit, but I want to keep the base the same. If I decide to go completely outside the normal flavor profile, even if it turns out extraordinary, I am prepared to accept the results.

Don't think for a second that I am completely opposite of you in my feelings of KCBS judging. I have become a huge fan of IBCA events where the judges are basically just pulled from the crowd...no preconceived ideas about specifics they are looking for. They just tell you whether or not your BBQ tastes like good BBQ.

that is what i have been learning and we have turned it into a more friendly sauce and rubs.. but we did win 3rd pork shop with a wasabi plum glaze for nebs.. so they must have had something they liked... i just dont get it is what i was starting or trying to get at...

i will not bash anyone for their food or what they like.. but i am not going to spend 2000k a month going to competitions to have judges tell me they want straight bbq.... once again like in the thread posted above everything you think personally gets left at the door...

flavor is flavor.. if it has good flavor it is a high score wether you prefer it or not..

your right about batali and the alike.. they would serve something like that and that is why it has been trial and errored before and has worked and not worked...

like stated before.. if bbq is sweet baby rays type sauces and such then why at my first backyard bbq comp did i win 1st place ribs with a soy wasabi glaze, 1st place chicken with a plum glaze, and i got grand champion.. this was all judged by competition teams...

so explain that one...

You just need to find your niche.
If you want to experiment with bold, unique flavors, do a local "Iron Chef" comp.
If you want to compete sauceless, do an IBCA comp.

But you simply cannot go to a KCBS comp, claim your purity of ethics don't allow you to cook to the standard, and then stamp your feet and shout that "the system" is farked.

We've learned to cook KCBS successfully, and while we find flaws in its system, it's better than some others out there. We work proactively within that system to improve it when warranted.

Back