THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jeffreywp1

is one Smokin' Farker
I am cooking prime rib roast for 80 people at a wedding and need to know how much shrinkage to plan for. I am not doing the sides and do not know if it will be the only meat, I just need a yield percentage to figure out how much to buy after I get the rest of the info. I plan on dry brining for one night, garlic herb slather the next night before cooking low and slow with a high heat finish. It is very delicious with a salty smoky crust.

Bone-in or boneless?

If boneless, by your cook method, low and slow to an IT of 130-135, I'd say 75-85% yield.

Years ago when I worked in the restaurant biz, we cooked hot and fast in the oven of course, and figured 75%. with the low and slow you retain more of the juices, less shrinkage.

KC

This is more of a question than an answer.

I think of Prime Rib servings in terms of slices, not pounds.
So, if the PR is xx inches long and I want slices that are 1/2 or 3/4" or "whatever" thick, that would tell me how many servings I would get from each hunk of meat.

Just a thought.

Good Luck and congrats to the couple.

TIM

This is more of a question than an answer.

I think of Prime Rib servings in terms of slices, not pounds.
So, if the PR is xx inches long and I want slices that are 1/2 or 3/4" or "whatever" thick, that would tell me how many servings I would get from each hunk of meat.

Just a thought.

Good Luck and congrats to the couple.

TIM

Yep yep. Most of us aren't skilled enough to look at a whole ribeye and decide how thick we should cut for a 12oz slice or whatever size you are wanting.

Measure the ribeye and subtract perhaps an inch for shrinkage.

Alternatively, a general rule of thumb is 2 people per bone and a whole ribeye has 7 bones. This makes for some serious variation though as whole ribeyes range from 12 to 18+ lbs.

Bone-in or boneless?

If boneless, by your cook method, low and slow to an IT of 130-135, I'd say 75-85% yield.

Years ago when I worked in the restaurant biz, we cooked hot and fast in the oven of course, and figured 75%. with the low and slow you retain more of the juices, less shrinkage.

KC

Boneless. I used to buy bone in and have the bones cut off and tied back on but prefere the crust more than what little the bone offers to the cook. I have also done hot and fast on the smoker but like the extra smoke from low and slow.

Back