THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wahoowad

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
PookieBoo
My first (and only) bone-in prime rib roast was fantastic. I did your basic low and slow on the WSM with a final sear over the coals. It was posted here awhile back.

I vacuum sealed several single-serve slices and put away in the freezer. They were tasty when reheated in the microwave but lacked that really hot, fresh cooked taste you get when the meat+juices+fat are just right.

I thought of giving them a quick sear, possibly with some more rub or blackening spices sprinkled on, but didn't want to overcook them. I'm wondering if my next cook could be different to set me up better for a mealtime sear when I remove leftovers from the freezer? Maybe I pull it at a lower temp so that my slices will not get overcooked when seared? Maybe I just cut the slices thicker so they can better handle the sear?

My first (and only) bone-in prime rib roast was fantastic. I did your basic low and slow on the WSM with a final sear over the coals. It was posted here awhile back.

I vacuum sealed several single-serve slices and put away in the freezer. They were tasty when reheated in the microwave but lacked that really hot, fresh cooked taste you get when the meat+juices+fat are just right.

I thought of giving them a quick sear, possibly with some more rub or blackening spices sprinkled on, but didn't want to overcook them. I'm wondering if my next cook could be different to set me up better for a mealtime sear when I remove leftovers from the freezer? Maybe I pull it at a lower temp so that my slices will not get overcooked when seared? Maybe I just cut the slices thicker so they can better handle the sear?

Why not after your done eating the roast.. slice the steaks.. and do a quick sear before you freeze? Or yes... I would sear either in a pan or grill after thawing.. I wouldn't microwave it :)

I'm concerned a quick sear would over-cook the prime rib, at least given the way I sliced it and/or the level of doneness I cooked it to (medium rare).

I think reheating any way other than sous vide will cause it to overcook some. I think if you get a REALLY hot bed of coals and give it a quick sear it would be minimal though

Back