THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
I'm in the Roseville/Sacramento area and was wondering what the price of a Costco prime brisket is per lb. I'd like to get a 13-14 pounder if it's not ridiculous right now. I've been making do with choice costing around $60 to $70, but I'm hoping prime won't be too much more.

I paid 3.99 for prime the other day in the bay area. That's what i was getting them at pre pandemic.

I'm afraid it won't last long though and the prices will shoot back up. Other cuts of beef were still really expensive

$3.99/lb for prime the past few weeks at Costco's in San Diego.

Pre-pandemic they'd sometimes get down to $2.99/lb! I'm probably starting to sound like an old geezer :)

Dam. I want a Costco near me. The court battles have stalled it for 3 yrs. I'm afraid they are going to abandon the project if it gets held up any longer.

Costco around me never seems to have Prime. I've gotten my last few from wild Fork. They've been $5 per pound but have been really good with minimal trimming required. If they deliver to your door, they're worth checking out.

I got $3.99 in Nashua NH. What I found funny is that choice flats were $5.99/lb. Why would anyone buy that when the prime whole is right there for less money?

Costco here (Miami) does not carry prime. Nor does it have packers. I get mine at Sam's but have not been there in a while.

I got $3.99 in Nashua NH. What I found funny is that choice flats were $5.99/lb. Why would anyone buy that when the prime whole is right there for less money?

With only a $2 difference between them, in my experience after trimming the Prime packer you’d probably be closer to the $5.99/lb than most would think. Last one I got was a huge 21.22lb packer and I trimmed just under 6lbs of fat from it, about 28% loss. Would of put me at $5.54/lb after trimming.

If someone prefers the lean/flat, and isn’t a fan of a lot of trimming, I could see that flat as an option. In my area (North of Pittsburgh) the Prime packers were last at $3.99/lb with the Choice flats at $7.99/lb, I believe. In that case I’m going Prime packer all day…

The absolute cheapest brisket I can find comes at $4.45/lb and it's tough as nails, lower than Select in quality. The best I can find is Creekstone Farms USDA Choice at $9/lb... It's crazy on this side of the pond. I started doing tritips and chucks instead, though I'm having some fun with the really cheap briskets and see what I can come up with

I paid $3.99/lb at Costco a couple weeks back. Sam's is still higher into the $4.xx's, which is odd since they tend to be a little lower than Costco. I also picked up a wagyu brisket at a local shop for $10/lb. Wagyu briskets tend to require less trimming in my experience, so the net price difference between $4-5/lb commodity prime and $10/lb wagyu probably isn't as big as it seems.

Well, thank you all for your help. I found that my Winco had Choice for $4.99/lb. When I went to Costco, they were at $3.99/lb. for Prime. Winco usually has low prices, but not this time. I looked for the thickest flat I could find and I got this huge, for me, brisket. I gladly paid the extra $13 for the huge prime. Thanks again.
sWVCB4L.jpg

Back