Price Of Prime Brisket...

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
I'm in the Roseville/Sacramento area and was wondering what the price of a Costco prime brisket is per lb. I'd like to get a 13-14 pounder if it's not ridiculous right now. I've been making do with choice costing around $60 to $70, but I'm hoping prime won't be too much more.

I paid 3.99 for prime the other day in the bay area. That's what i was getting them at pre pandemic.

I'm afraid it won't last long though and the prices will shoot back up. Other cuts of beef were still really expensive

$3.99/lb for prime the past few weeks at Costco's in San Diego.

Pre-pandemic they'd sometimes get down to $2.99/lb! I'm probably starting to sound like an old geezer :)

Dam. I want a Costco near me. The court battles have stalled it for 3 yrs. I'm afraid they are going to abandon the project if it gets held up any longer.

Last week it was $3.99/lb just down the street from Roseville at the Citrus Heights Costco.

Costco around me never seems to have Prime. I've gotten my last few from wild Fork. They've been $5 per pound but have been really good with minimal trimming required. If they deliver to your door, they're worth checking out.

I got $3.99 in Nashua NH. What I found funny is that choice flats were $5.99/lb. Why would anyone buy that when the prime whole is right there for less money?

Costco here (Miami) does not carry prime. Nor does it have packers. I get mine at Sam's but have not been there in a while.

I got $3.99 in Nashua NH. What I found funny is that choice flats were $5.99/lb. Why would anyone buy that when the prime whole is right there for less money?

With only a $2 difference between them, in my experience after trimming the Prime packer you’d probably be closer to the $5.99/lb than most would think. Last one I got was a huge 21.22lb packer and I trimmed just under 6lbs of fat from it, about 28% loss. Would of put me at $5.54/lb after trimming.

If someone prefers the lean/flat, and isn’t a fan of a lot of trimming, I could see that flat as an option. In my area (North of Pittsburgh) the Prime packers were last at $3.99/lb with the Choice flats at $7.99/lb, I believe. In that case I’m going Prime packer all day…

The absolute cheapest brisket I can find comes at $4.45/lb and it's tough as nails, lower than Select in quality. The best I can find is Creekstone Farms USDA Choice at $9/lb... It's crazy on this side of the pond. I started doing tritips and chucks instead, though I'm having some fun with the really cheap briskets and see what I can come up with

I paid $3.99/lb at Costco a couple weeks back. Sam's is still higher into the $4.xx's, which is odd since they tend to be a little lower than Costco. I also picked up a wagyu brisket at a local shop for $10/lb. Wagyu briskets tend to require less trimming in my experience, so the net price difference between $4-5/lb commodity prime and $10/lb wagyu probably isn't as big as it seems.

Well, thank you all for your help. I found that my Winco had Choice for $4.99/lb. When I went to Costco, they were at $3.99/lb. for Prime. Winco usually has low prices, but not this time. I looked for the thickest flat I could find and I got this huge, for me, brisket. I gladly paid the extra $13 for the huge prime. Thanks again.
sWVCB4L.jpg

Back