THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wingpirate

Knows what a fatty is.
Greetings all! I just wanted to share some wing pron with you all from my test cook last weekend. I always start the competition season with my hot wing team, Pirates of the Capsaicin, at the Southern Hot Wing Festival in Memphis, TN.

Some of the team members and I got together for a practice cook and made wings just about every way I know how, fried, smoked, and grilled.

IMAG0826.jpg

I'd soaked the wings in olive oil and dusted with a basic "Memphis style" BBQ rub for smoking. They went into the smoker at 250 for 2.5 hours and were smoked with Jack Daniel's barrel chips. They were then sauced with my homemade HOT bourbon BBQ sauce. The results were fantastic, as seen below.

IMAG0835.jpg

For the grilled wings, I dusted the wings with some Famous Daves Rib Rub I had laying around (seems to taste better on chicken than ribs in my opinion) and tossed em on my charcoal grill for about 30 minutes or so.

IMAG0829.jpg

Crisped them up and then tossed them in a honey gold sauce (mustard based, think Carolina Gold). Very good eats.

IMAG0828.jpg

Finally I lit the fryer for some of my "competition style" wings that have won several first places at different regional competitions. Gave them a quick breading and fried at 350F in peanut oil for 15 minutes and then sauced with a hot "Asian BBQ" sauce.

IMAG0830.jpg

All in all, I'd call the cook a success. I'm hopeful that we're able to pull some good hardware this year. :biggrin1:

BY THE WAY......

I always cut the tips off my wings. You know, the part that has nothing much but cartilege, burns and takes up space on the cooker. Have you ever thought of removing that part? Just wondering.

IMG_3161.jpg

I even cut that part off of my whole chickens and turkeys when I smoke em.

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_3602.jpg

Very, VERY interested in that hot bourbon bbq sauce. I don't comment much on many pictures but those wings looked wonderful. Outstanding!

The bourdon bbq sauce and Asian bbq batch look absolutely awesome! Great color on the bourbon ones.
I'm not a mustard fan at all, but I'm sure those were good also. :-D

Forget practice. That is the real deal right there my friend! Looks great! If you feel so inclined I would love to get the recipe for any of those sauces, especially that honey gold sauce;that sounds interesting.

Back