THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great post! Food looks awesome, pix are top notch and reporting is great! I really need to get into making carne asada and al pastor. I really enjoy the stuff, but for whatever reason it never occurs to me to cook it - I can tell you it's occurring to me right now though!

Excellent spread! If you don't live around here, you can not appreciate how hard it was storming. I know other parts of the country think we are puzzys weather wise, quite true, but last weekend was as hard as rain gets in these parts. I cooked inside all weekend.

Please share your pastor marinade ingredients, is that achiote molido in the lower right? I would also appreciate if you could tell us how hot the surface temp of the BS griddle gets at max, mine seems to run cooler than I want, especially in windy conditions.

Around here, markets call your avocado salsa "Guacatillo" salsa. Your pico de gallo reminds me of Ciro's restaurant style, on Evergreen in ELA.

Thanks for sharing your great pics of an epic worldwide spread!

Will you adopt me? I won't take up much room. :becky: Looks fantastic, I even love the rain. Thanks for posting! :thumb:

Great post! Food looks awesome, pix are top notch and reporting is great! I really need to get into making carne asada and al pastor. I really enjoy the stuff, but for whatever reason it never occurs to me to cook it - I can tell you it's occurring to me right now though!

Carne asada is some good eatin' Greg and easy to do. When I was over at your place for the pig pickin' I was talking to Ray and he's got a recipe says he finally got it right after trying a while. You may want to hit Ray up for the recipe. He disclosed the "secret" ingredient to Tony and me to make killer asada. I have yet to try it.

Mine is simple with a rub I make and let it marinade anywhere from four hours to overnight.

The rub is for about 3lbs of flap meat (you can plus or minus depending the meat quantity)

2 TBS Dried oregano

2 TBS Seasoned salt

3 TBS Garlic powder or granulated

1 TSP black pepper

1 Onion

3 oranges

Mix the rub together.

Cut the onion into thin slices.

Sprinkle the rub on both sides of the flap meat steaks, stack it on top of each other with the sliced onions inbetween each steak.

Squeeze the juice from the oranges and pour it over the seasoned meat and let it marinade. I find it the longer it marinates the better.

That's it!

Excellent spread! If you don't live around here, you can not appreciate how hard it was storming. I know other parts of the country think we are puzzys weather wise, quite true, but last weekend was as hard as rain gets in these parts. I cooked inside all weekend.

Please share your pastor marinade ingredients, is that achiote molido in the lower right? I would also appreciate if you could tell us how hot the surface temp of the BS griddle gets at max, mine seems to run cooler than I want, especially in windy conditions.

Around here, markets call your avocado salsa "Guacatillo" salsa. Your pico de gallo reminds me of Ciro's restaurant style, on Evergreen in ELA.

Thanks for sharing your great pics of an epic worldwide spread!

That storm was major for sure especially in the Foothills.

You know your ingredients :thumb: That is achiote molido.

I decided to include achiote paste in my recipe so I made the paste from scratch. I made the marinade for about 5lbs for pork and it was perfect.

Achiote Paste recipe:

1 1/2 TBS achiote molido (ground annatto)

1/2 TBS ground corriander

1/2 TBS black pepper

1/3 TSP ground cloves

1/2 TSP cumin

1 TSP ground allspice

2 TSP dried oregano

5 cloves of garlic

1 TSP salt

1-2 TBS Freshly squeezed orange juice or vinegar or both

Blend all the spices in the blender or a food processor thoroughly and start adding the liquid (orange juice/vineger) slowly to form a paste like substance. Not too soft and not too hard.

The above yields 3 TBS of Achiote paste which is exactly how much is needed for 5 lbs meat.

Here is the marinade for the pork:

3 TBS Achiote paste (recipe above) PS you can buy it at the store but :confused:

6 Ancho chile pods

6 Pasilla chile pods or Guajillo chile pods

3 TSP oregano

2 TSP cumin

3/4 cup white vinegar

9 cloves of garlic

Onion to taste (optional)

2 to 2 1/2 TBS salt

1-2 TSP sugar (optional)

1 fresh pinapple preferably

Break open the chile pods and dump out the seeds.

Put the chiles in boiling water and let it turn soft.

Put all the ingredients in a blender or food processer until it gets nice a runny like sauce. Add water if need be.

Chop up the pinapple into chunks.

Cut the pork butt or loin into thin strips and dump the marinade plus the pinapples over them. Mix them real good and let them marinate at least 12 hrs. More wouldn't hurt.

Grill and enjoy!

That is it!!

Will you adopt me? I won't take up much room. :becky: Looks fantastic, I even love the rain. Thanks for posting! :thumb:

If it were someone else asking most likely not but since it's Jeanie...Well! :kiss: You're more than welcome here if you ever come out this way whether it's temporary or permanent.:becky: Plenty or room and plenty of food.

Thank you for the kind words!

Wow, wow, wow...Amazing looking food. Making me hungry, even though I just had lunch.

How's that Costco beer?

Thank you!

I actually like having it in the fridge as everyday beer or for parties. This is the same beer as Gordon Biersch's Martzen. It's good stuff. The same brewery supplies Costco under the Kirkland name.

They're called:

Hopfen und Malz Brewing Company in San Jose, CA

Back