THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

enasnidx

Full Fledged Farker
I brewed up a batch of some homemade chili the other week. It was a first attempt but I really liked the way it turned out. I've finally learned to take notes when I make up recipes so that I can repeat or fix them as needed. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures :doh:. However, I thought I'd throw out the recipe for y'all to try if you like. It's a great way to use left over pulled pork (is there such a thing?).

Porky's Revenge Chili
5 cups of smoked, pulled pork (about 1.25 lbs.)
1 lb. of thick-cut bacon, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped (I like yellow for asthetics :mrgreen:)
2 medium onions, chopped
3 medium tomatoes, cut in large chunks
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 cans (pints) tomato sauce
1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped (with sauce)
2 (15 oz.) cans pinto beans, drained & rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can dark red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained & rinsed
1/4 c. honey
1/4 c. chili powder
2 t. ground cumin
1 t. dried oregano
1 t. dried basil
1/2 t. black pepper

1. Fry chopped bacon in large kettle until browned. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic. Saute for 5 min.
2. Add remaining ingredients
3. Cover and simmer for about 1.5 hours

Yields just over a gallon.

I know, I know. Beans. But I like 'em :cool:. I made this recipe using all the sauce from the chipotles. This is where all the heat is. I would rate it at about medium-hot. Kids won't like it. Adults will sweat a little, but that's necessary no? If you like it a little less spicy, add less of the adobo sauce (or none). I love the texture of pulled pork and large chunks of vegetables in there. Anyway, give it a shot. I think you'll like it.

Back