THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bigmofo300lbs

Full Fledged Farker
Okay, before I got my smoker I was using my 30 gal barrel to make my baby back ribs. And they came out fine. Now I want to make the 'fall off the bone' kind of ribs. So I got two questions, 1) Anyone now of any firebox modifications for the firebox on a smoker similar to the silver or american gourmet http://www.charbroil.com/smokers/offset_smokers.asp Fire tends to put itself out. 2) Any tips on temps to cook the ribs at?

Big Mo,

Do a search in this forum of both "3-2-1" and "2-2-1"

That will get your bones falling off (and shooting across the table)

The link didnt work for me, so I'm gonna go figure out what your asking, but I think your talking about a tuning plate. There are picture of that in the Photo section, I think, of Phils Hondo and maybe DFLittles.

look in our files section. I have loaded a document a while back for mosds to horizontal smokers. On the silver, ya need 3 mods.

1- extend smokestack to grate level. Easy to do with a soup can.
2- move thermometer to grate level.
3- build a baffle. Baffle designs are in the document.

For the firebox, I used a firegrate larger than the one that came with it. I used a grate that i got from HD and cut it to size. This raised the grate about 3 inchs, leaving more room underneath for ash. Before finding the grate, I had the stock grate sitting on sections of firebrick.

the baffle design will work with any horizontal thats to narrow to accomodate tuning plates.

I think my pics are in my posts from December when I got the offset smoker.

Here's the thread from December: it's also got a link/URL to a great site for these mods. Some of my pics are there too:

http://www.bandera-brethren.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1152&start=0

The mods take about an hour to do. I didn't have to do the chimney extension (thanks to New Braunfels learning a few things.

I did the "tuning plate". I used a piece of sheet metal (I forget the gauge but I can bend it with plyers) - drilled it to bolt onto the bolts holding the firebox onto the chamber and then had enough metal to keep about 9 or 10 inches of baffle into the horizontal chamber and angled down a bit. I put a foild pan with liquid under the edge and it catches the dripping from the meat and provides some humidity.

Oh yeah, I did an expanded metal charcoal basket, too. Just cut and bend.

Back