Pork question, illegal or not???

After all that I am still curious if blasting pulled or chopped pork with heavy smoke before turn in really helps with smoke flavor. As far as the rules go I don’t see it any different than those who use their smokers to “rest” meat or keep it warm but I just can’t really see getting a full smoke flavor by just blasting it.

My guess is that they really put it in there to heat it up after pulling, but, there is a lot of "new" surface area that is opened up once the meat is pulled, and that may be able to take on additional smoke flavor.

I won't even mention the fact that the OP was doing a serious case of shiggin, of course, shiggin would be actually entering the other teams site, he was doing more spying than shiggin. Just my observation...maybe this explains why all the top teams have trailers.

I was in my site and a member of another team was over in my space and he mentioned it and so I looked over and we talked about how that looked like a good idea. The team did it at the back of their site in plain view of everyone around them. I never left my site. If that is shiggin then I guess I will put up walls on my tent and not look out of my site. that's the only way that I can think I or the other 8 to 10 teams in sight wouldn't have seen this.

Guys, again, I'm sorry. I messed up. Made a poor post, went to a comp without a full understanding of the rules, and without doing some research, posted a question that could easily be taken as a jab at another team. I don't know what else to say. I'm not trying to shig, I just saw something that I thought was a good idea and asked the question, granted, in a VERY poor way.

I was in my site and a member of another team was over in my space and he mentioned it and so I looked over and we talked about how that looked like a good idea. The team did it at the back of their site in plain view of everyone around them. I never left my site. If that is shiggin then I guess I will put up walls on my tent and not look out of my site. that's the only way that I can think I or the other 8 to 10 teams in sight wouldn't have seen this.

Guys, again, I'm sorry. I messed up. Made a poor post, went to a comp without a full understanding of the rules, and without doing some research, posted a question that could easily be taken as a jab at another team. I don't know what else to say. I'm not trying to shig, I just saw something that I thought was a good idea and asked the question, granted, in a VERY poor way.

Hey, its cool. Shigging is how new people learn in BBQ. You watch what others do around you and see a good idea. You go home and try to repeat it.

Everybody in this sport has done this to some degree. If they say they haven't they are lying and going to BBQ Hell. You have got nothing to be ashamed of. Like I said before, don't listen to the haters.

Dude, don't feel bad. Most of us knew it wasn't a jab at another team. Live and let shig. I learned how to cook comp ribs by asking questions and, more importantly, being taken "under the wing" of an excellent competitor who has become a friend as well. Welcome to the bbq world where everyone I have met has been very friendly, helpful and fun to hang with!

that wasn't even close to shigging.

y'all grasping at straws at this point IMHO.

i agree with TSTP and ITBQ, i would even suggest, next time you see someone doing something that interests you, grab a frosty, walk over and ask, watchya doin'? 9 times out of 10 a helpful conversation will follow.

i wouldn'nt necessarily do that between 12 and 1:30P, but i think you get the gist.

Can I add a question here along the same lines. If I do two butts one for a turn-in MM and one for pulled pork, do I throw away the rest of the butt after the MM has been cut out? Do I throw it back on a smoker just for my lunch/dinner and risk getting questioned on it?

I know I hear the rules change in 2014 but I haven't seen those yet, are they published?

Can I add a question here along the same lines. If I do two butts one for a turn-in MM and one for pulled pork, do I throw away the rest of the butt after the MM has been cut out? Do I throw it back on a smoker just for my lunch/dinner and risk getting questioned on it?

I know I hear the rules change in 2014 but I haven't seen those yet, are they published?

I would just put it back in the holding box until well after the final turn in. After that, cook away!

I wouldn't take a chance, just in case. I would take it home and finish cooking it when you are going to eat it.

Back