Pork question, illegal or not???

When you get to the next comp, find the head judge, explain in detail the process you want to execute on the pork, and they can tell you if it is OK or not. So then, if another team sees you doing it and tells the judges, you have already cleared your process with the judges.

Can't agree with this.

If you practice something over and over and it's illegal, what then do you do comp day?

Know the rules and follow them if you're gonna play the game.

Dont get all high and mighty y'all...his question truly sounds genuine. If you jump on every single person that sees something at a contest and wants to better themselves and their product, that's not what BBQ Culture is about. He's not outting a team, he wanted to improve his game.

Y'all sound like a bunch of grumpy old fogies.

Wager, ignore the haters. The only thing you need to know is it illegal to seperate any part of the Pork and return it to the cooker.

Try cooking a butt for your money muscle and one for your pulled/chopped pork if you don't already. You can cook each to a different temp, ensuring your best on both.

If you are getting killed in Pork, what do you feel you are doing wrong? What do your scores look like? What do you put in your box? How do you put it in the box?

He never specified if it was KCBS either. It could have been SCBA (Where you can pull and reheat). There was an SCBA event this weekend up near Charlotte.

Do you mean an SBN event? There was no SCBA event near Charlotte....Mauldin (we were there) and Columbia. There was an SBN cook in Canton, NC I believe.

When you get to the next comp, find the head judge, explain in detail the process you want to execute on the pork, and they can tell you if it is OK or not. So then, if another team sees you doing it and tells the judges, you have already cleared your process with the judges.

In the case of KCBS, check with the REPs. They are final authority at the contest.

I can testify that the man that is in charge of the team that received the highest Pork score at the KCBS contest in Salisbury this weekend might look dumb...but isn't dumb enough to do that to his Pork.

Wager, even if unintended and giving you the benefit of the doubt that you did see what you said you saw, you pretty much threw 3 teams under the troll bus that internet forums can be at times by making ambiguous statements.

Not real cool to us or the 2 other KCBS teams that this trial by internet falls onto that may not read this forum post or have someone inform them about it like someone did me this evening.

I also feel sorry for everyone pulling their pork tonight and putting it back into the smoker for extra smoke. Make sure you have buddy present with you that knows the Heimlich maneuver when you try to eat it :thumb:

Hey guys, I was at a comp this past weekend and saw a guy pull his pork butt and then stick it in a metal basket and put it back on the smoker for a few minutes with some heavy smoke for additional smoke flavor. I assume this is legal but with the talk about seperating meat and cooking it I wasn't sure. This team actually finished either 1st or 2nd. so definitely something I would like to try if it is ok.

Wager, even if unintended and giving you the benefit of the doubt that you did see what you said you saw, you pretty much threw 3 teams under the troll bus that internet forums can be at times by making ambiguous statements.

Not real cool to us or the 2 other KCBS teams that this trial by internet falls onto that may not read this forum post or have someone inform them about it like someone did me this evening.

To come to this guys defense...y'all need to quit hassling him. As you can see by the quote above, the guy had an honest question, he did not in ANY way throw ANY team under the bus. He mentioned no team names and He explictly states he is new to Comp BBQ...He is a new cook that had questions...that is one of the reasons this forum exists. If people keep hassling these new cooks, then they will not come here, to this place of BBQ BRETHREN. With the popularity of BBQ skyrocketing, some people have forgot its a family. How would you feel if your question was met with people calling you "a piece of work" or telling them they "threw 3 teams under a bus" just for trying to be a better cook...

Y'all need to get off your high horse and realize he saw something going on over in someones camp. Now it might not have been what he thought it was, but he came here to get a simple question answered because he wanted to see if he could improve his game. Shame on y'all.

Do you mean an SBN event? There was no SCBA event near Charlotte....Mauldin (we were there) and Columbia. There was an SBN cook in Canton, NC I believe.

You're right..I checked the SCBA results and they hadn't been updated yet. The last event was listed when I checked was Clover. What's your team?

And to get back on track, I agree with TooSauced up there. Wager seems to have had a genuine question about what was right and wrong. He's here to find out the answer, not to get harassed.

I can testify that the man that is in charge of the team that received the highest Pork score at the KCBS contest in Salisbury this weekend might look dumb...but isn't dumb enough to do that to his Pork.

I also feel sorry for everyone pulling their pork tonight and putting it back into the smoker for extra smoke. Make sure you have buddy present with you that knows the Heimlich maneuver when you try to eat it :thumb:

Market Hunter, I really do apologize. I can see that I made a mistake in the way that I worded the initial post. I never should have mentioned any sort of result of any team when I posed the question. Again, it was not my intent to try and stir up any trouble, I just thought it might be a good idea and was going to try it but after thinking about it, thought I should find out if it was ok. I'm very sorry. I do want to make it very clear that I have no idea what this team was doing this for and my guess is that, considering most have a much better understanding of the rules, this team was almost certainly doing this for a peoples choice entry and NOT their actual pork entry.

Mod Note:

Wager has explained his intent with his post and has apologized a couple of times. I think it's very clear that his intention was not to throw anyone under the bus. Let's let this one go and move on. We want folks new to competition to feel comfortable asking questions about the rules and other aspects of BBQ competitions.

ronelle, i agree with you.

however, asking about a rule and announcing you saw someone break one in a public forum are two different animals.

as to the OP, my initial response is still my best advice to you. read the rules, understand them, and practice under them.

oh and of course, ask questions here and you be AOK. :thumb:

After all that I am still curious if blasting pulled or chopped pork with heavy smoke before turn in really helps with smoke flavor. As far as the rules go I don’t see it any different than those who use their smokers to “rest” meat or keep it warm but I just can’t really see getting a full smoke flavor by just blasting it.

i would guess there was alot of smoke because they had a new fire going and threw the meat on quickly to heat up, and not to give it more flavor.

i would also guess this would in fact be a PC type of move, not KCBS turn in.

After all that I am still curious if blasting pulled or chopped pork with heavy smoke before turn in really helps with smoke flavor. As far as the rules go I don’t see it any different than those who use their smokers to “rest” meat or keep it warm but I just can’t really see getting a full smoke flavor by just blasting it.

Most (not all) sauces really absorb smoke flavor. The folks that will sauce a rib and set it back to "set" usually have little or no smoke at all when they do this because it absorbs smoke so dramatically.

I could see someone doing this (above) if they really felt that they didnt get enough smokiness. However, more often than not, they're desensitized to the smoke themselves and will do so to only get trounced in scoring... Generally, outside of being illegal, it's not a great idea. Unsauced, it's not going to get much extra smoke on it, unless you're using billowy white, and does anyone really like that extra coating of creosote? Probably not...

Ok, everyone. I've asked a couple of the other guys that were cooking around me this weekend and I was incorrect. This took place PRIOR to the Chicken turn in for their PEOPLES CHOICE turn in, which they won. I don't know if they placed in the actual pork event. I'm really sorry about this. I guess being at the awards after getting no sleep the night before I confused what award they got. The team DID NOT break any rules. Again, I really apologize for the confusion. Being a new team I certainly don't want to be "that" guy out there trying to stir things up. I just thought it seemed like a good idea and was wondering if I should try it. I now have a full understanding of the rules and will not do that at an event.

I know it's a little late in the process and really I'm not trying to bust your chops, but why would anyone spend between $400 and $1000 on an event and not fully understand all the rules attached to it?
Before I ever entered a contest I read then reread the rules did research on the process's and practices. On this site alone there have been lterally dozens of threads on pork parting and how it has lead up to a rule change in 2014.
Knowing and following the rules is 100% the head cooks responsability. Go to the KCBS website and digest the rules until you can answer any question that might arise, then if your still uncertain check with the contest rep to verify. While the members of this site are very knowlegable they hold no sand at a contest.
Good luck in your future cooks.
Ed

Ok, everyone. I've asked a couple of the other guys that were cooking around me this weekend and I was incorrect. This took place PRIOR to the Chicken turn in for their PEOPLES CHOICE turn in, which they won. I don't know if they placed in the actual pork event. I'm really sorry about this. I guess being at the awards after getting no sleep the night before I confused what award they got. The team DID NOT break any rules. Again, I really apologize for the confusion. Being a new team I certainly don't want to be "that" guy out there trying to stir things up. I just thought it seemed like a good idea and was wondering if I should try it. I now have a full understanding of the rules and will not do that at an event.

I thought it might be for People's Choice.

Wager - I have only limited comp experience but Salisbury was the first one I've been to where turn in for People's Choice was before chicken (11-12). The other ones I've been to have had People's Choice after brisket (1:30 - 2:30). Not saying good or bad just different from what I've seen.

I won't even mention the fact that the OP was doing a serious case of shiggin, of course, shiggin would be actually entering the other teams site, he was doing more spying than shiggin. Just my observation...maybe this explains why all the top teams have trailers.

Back