THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hurricanedavid

is one Smokin' Farker
It was a Chamber of Commerace today here in SW Florida and a perfect day to make some pig candy.

I bought pork belly from Sam’s for the first time as I wanted to see how it stacked up to the local butcher market.

I seasoned it up on all sides and smoked it in the BGE for three hours using Apple wood for smoke. I removed it from the rack and placed in a pan and then covered it with brown sugar, honey, and SW butter (Sam’s Product). I smoked it for another 1.5 hours on the BGE. I finished it with a Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce/apple juice mixture and let it glaze on BGE for fifteen minutes.

The finished goods were exceptionally good and rich! Following are a few pictures and thanks for checking it out.

Last edited:
Wow, straight up pork candy. Might have to give this one a whirl. I know I've seen the Sam's by me has been carrying the bellies for a while now, but haven't bought any yet. Was their belly worth it in your opinion?

Wow, straight up pork candy. Might have to give this one a whirl. I know I've seen the Sam's by me has been carrying the bellies for a while now, but haven't bought any yet. Was their belly worth it in your opinion?

Thank you for the kind words.

I was very pleased with Sam's pork belly. The slab thickness was as expected, fairly meaty along entirety, and $2/lb less than the local butcher.

It prepped and cooked exactly as the more expensive option. Most importantly, the finished product and flavor profile was excellent.

I will continue to use Sam's pork belly for pork burnt ends.

That looks amazing. I just bought a pork belly yesterday at Costco to try cooking for the first time. I've heard they make great pulled pork. You've inspired me to make some of these along with that. Thanks!

Back