THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
IMF
Picked up some Double R ranch short rib’s to cook for the ongoing “2016 Beef Short Rib Master” Throwdown.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232634

SRF / RR are great sponsors of this site and have great products. I’m lucky that the local Haggen carry’s their meat.

On with the cook – We make a Porcini Mushroom rub that adds a great bark with a distinctive Beephy flavor. This stuff rivals Crack sauce for pork ribs.

The players lined up. In the rub is dried Porcini mushrooms, Brown sugar, Garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, Pepper corns, and a few smoked and dried Habanero peppers. And of course the Beeph Shorty’s

View attachment 130685

The Shorty’s in the raw required shot

View attachment 130686

The Porcini’s hitting the grinder

View attachment 130687

The Shorty’s rubbed heavy on all sides and a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes

View attachment 130688

Let the rub soak in well while getting the Weber ready

View attachment 130689

Hit the grill with some mesquite chunks on the charcoal

View attachment 130690

Cruising along

View attachment 130691

On the Cooker required shot

View attachment 130692

Almost done

View attachment 130693

Loosely Foiled with Garlic butter and a drizzle of honey

View attachment 130694

Done!

View attachment 130695

View attachment 130696

View attachment 130697

And Sliced

View attachment 130698

View attachment 130699

Completed dish !

View attachment 130700

These did not suck. Juicy with Great Beephy flavor and distinctive elements of the great Beeph, the Porcini shrooms, the great Habanero flavor and offset with the subtle sweetness of the brown sugar and honey.
If you have never had a porcini shrooms rub, I recommend giving it a try.

Thanks for Lookin!
SD

Last edited:
Guess i need to get some dried porcini powder

I think you will like it!

We just get the dried Porcini shrooms and grind them with the rest of the rub mix. It does take a good grinder because they can be a little tough. This is the first time I added the habaneros and I liked it. MSD talked me out of the ghost peppers but I might grind some in to a small batch.

Paul, I made some of that rub based on your recommendation and really enjoyed it on a steak. It's funny, I used smoked dry habs in mine too!

Paul, I made some of that rub based on your recommendation and really enjoyed it on a steak. It's funny, I used smoked dry habs in mine too!

I love this stuff - Glad you liked it. I made extra so I can use on steaks soon.

Nice beef bones Neighbor! I miss Haggen. Loved the availability of DoubleR ranch beef just down the street. They got stiffed by shady Albertsons and closed all their stores in less than a year down here.

Back