THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See #4 above re: the faceshield... wife made me wear it because of the blazes... next time I'll wait for her to go to bed... but then many of the brethren have probably figured that out already :-D

Good thing she wasn't around when I burned my drum out with a pile of very dry pallets!

Sounds like you've got a good handle on it now. Gotta love the Brethren!

I use the fridge magnets to control air flow in my UDS and have had very good luck keeping control of the temps. I keep all three vents open at about 15% and it works well for me. Even when I open the lid, the temp drops a bit for a minute or two, and them pops right back to where it was previously. I figured having all three bottom vents open to some degree would provide the best possible burn and temp control. So far so good.

My last cook I struggled with keeping the temps down a bit, but after reading this thread it looks like the mistake I made was starting off with too many lit coals. I'll be cooking on it Saturday in the snow storm so that should be interesting. I'll try and post some pics on Sunday.

See #4 above re: the faceshield... wife made me wear it because of the blazes... next time I'll wait for her to go to bed... but then many of the brethren have probably figured that out already :-D

Heh, my wife was out in the snow with me while the flames were shooting out of the drum... beer in hand toasting the prospects of future que. :-D

2 things:

1) Close all intakes 5 min before lifting the lid and keep them closed for 5 min after.

2) In windy conditions, you need to close off some of the top vents. I have 6 1/2" holes in my lid and if the wind is kicking up I close 3 with magnets. Otherwise the wind will suck more air through the system and you won't be able to keep temps down.

Ok... so I ran experiment 3 tonight (last night?) in prep for my first UDS cook tomorrow (today?). I think I have a fair handle on how to regulate the temp and kep it between 225-250 without making too many adjustments - still learning though, so I need to adjust about once every hour.

I noted that my build is not as tight as I initially thought - I saw some white smoke leaking out from the rim of the lid when after I added 5 lit briqs to a chimney of unlit briqs. Should I look for a high temp gasket of some kind (if so what do I need and how do I put it in place?) Or should I take a mallet/heavy hammer and try to get a better seal on the drum? :confused:

I plan to smoke 2 racks of babybacks and a beer can chicken. I estimate this will take 4-5 hours. Should I load everything up at the start or should I put the chicken on after 1 hr so that the ribs get about 5 hours and the chicken takes about 4?

Oh, and as promised, here are pics. I tried to keep it simple but got carried away with the charcoal basket and ash pan. The pics don't show the Traeger thermometer I put in the lid, which by the way did not work out as planned. I thought maybe the lid thermo would be off by some amount and I could just remember what he difference would be. Instead, the thermo lags by 50* when a grate probe reads 150*, then an additonal 10* for every ~100*... so off by 50*, then 60*, then 70*. I can't remember any of the calculus I learned (and forgot) so long ago, so I think I will move the Traeger thermo to grate level later.

Last thing - I noticed that after 3 test burns, there was some discoloration of the grate and the stem of the thermo stem. I lifted the lid and there was a scant amount of dark fluid on the lip of the lid... felt somewhat oily. Is this the dreaded creosote ad will it get on my food??:eusa_clap Or did I just season with veg oil too generously when I did the first test burn?

Pic 1: My first UDS... getting uglier by he minute:-D
Pic 2: View of the intake mod (nothing special, but I'm still proud of it)
Pic 3: inside view... I made the grab bars to leave space for a coffee can to be pulled out easily. Now I realize that I will probably not use a coffee can.
Pic 4: Ash pan. I like that it is not attached to the basket. The middle post is a handle to lift it in and out of the UDS.
Pic 5: Groceries!! I laid out a bunch of sauces since I haven't made up my mind yet which one(s) I will use.

Have a great weekend brothers! May the smoke be with you...:biggrin:

PS: just realized that some pics are sideways... sorry.

Last edited:
Wow that really looks good..Can't wait to start on mine. Love the Beer opener lol

I too found my second UDS (Weber lid)temps were out of control the first couple of smokes but then after a few cooks it seems to have settled in. My first UDS (flat lid) never missed a beat from day one. Now I like them both only difference is the Weber lid one holds more but both run between 225-265 all day (night) long.

Back