PK360 collaboration thread

That rotisserie is amazing. Shoot me a DM when you're ready to start shipping those!

Coat and Mrhdvrod,
The rotisserie/kabob rack provided a bit of mental exercise and a refresher course for simple metal fabrication. That's about the limit of my involvement. However, I am willing to provide a few detailed pictures and useful insight for anyone who would like to copy the design.

I'm too old to take on any commitment beyond helping a friend with our shared interests.

I have only used my PK360 for steaks, chicken, chops, burgers and sausages. I use a chimney full of briquettes topped with a few small pieces of mesquite on the right third of the coal grate and cook everything indirect until up to desired temp then move over to direct heat for a quick sear. Makes for incredibly tasty results. I purchased grill grates and wish I had not as I am not impressed with them which may be a user issue. As far as cleaning I brush down my grates with a brush as soon as the food comes off and they are ready for the next cook. The day after the cook I use an old paint brush to sweep out the cold ash into a solo cup which I find is much cleaner than sweeping out through the opening in the bottom, takes just a couple of minutes to get a ash free cooker.

So please know... I think my PK360 with teak side tables is one of the sexiest cookers I’ve ever laid eyes on (hence her name). And I’m confident that this girl will far outlast me, based on fit, finish and utility.

How are you lighting it? A Weber Chimney... but be careful pouring the lit coals onto the grate; first 2 times I had a few sparks land on the right side table and left a few beauty marks. Note to self: if you’re right handed and you want the coals on the right side, you need to either pour with your left or get trickxy and attempt the gymnastics of a front and center angle pour.

What fuel are you using? KBB and Rockwood Lump depending on what I’m cooking; I’ll add a few wood chunks after I add the charcoal (left handed of course)

What is your clean out practice? Clean the grates right after cooking with a wire brush to minimize future mess. After everything cools down, I’ve got a small bench brush that makes quick order of the ash, through the drain hole and into an HD orange bucket hung from the fantastically positioned hang brackets. I’ll use a drip pan to minimize mess, but not if I’m planning on opening up the lower left vent. I’ll use a flexible scraper to dig out the grease and drippings when needed.

What accessories have you found useful? I love the teak side tables... just beautiful! I like the tongs and flipper, as they hang easily. I’m neutral to positive on the custom GrillGrates. They do sear and generate heat well. I have only flipped them over a few times for smash burgers... I didn’t have a lot of luck trying to re-flip the grate to try to burn the surface off to clean them. Talk about gymnastics...

What accessories have not been useful? The charcoal basket was a waste of money. I might try drilling those extra holes to see if they help. I bought the cutting board, and have only used it once. It’s great being able to hang it during the cook to use the side tables to put things on. But I seem to get along without it just fine.

Did another test cook on the PK rotisserie rig today. I used the grill basket on the spit rod and filled it with chicken legs coated with Fat Boy Sweet Rub. I skewered three oiled russet potatoes to bake while the legs were cooking. For fuel, I used a chimney of Kingsford BB briquettes and a few small rounds of apple wood. The cook took just over an hour. It was necessary to add briquettes and adjust their position along the way to maintain proper heat. I pulled the chicken when at 175° – 180°F internal. The potatoes roasted a while longer until their IT was over 200°.
The chicken had good flavor from the juices dripping on the coals. Their texture hit the sweet spot between under-cooked tough and overcooked mushy. The potato skins were charred from my inattention. I hollowed out the insides of the taters and roughly mashed them with sour cream and butter as for twice baked potatoes. The charred skin did not impart a burned flavor to the insides as I feared. Overall, the food was tasty and I was pleased with the cook.
Things that I learned with this PK rotisserie cook:
· Fire management is critical for cooking temperature control.
· The side “wings” on the roto rig work well to direct the heat under the rotisserie.
· The briquette “mileage” is not good as the PK lid must remain open.
· Potatoes can move from cooking to golden black quickly.
There are many possibilities for the PK 360 rotisserie/kabob rack. I will be experimenting more in the future, especially with the kabob skewers. So far, I have been using chicken for the test cooks. That’s mainly because it is much easier to steal chicken rather than a pig or a cow. I may have to double down on that effort.

Attachments

• ready.jpg
    ready.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 52
  • started.jpg
    started.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 51
  • done.jpg
    done.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 50
  • golden black.jpg
    golden black.jpg