THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All - I can't thank you enough for all the feedback above. There is some awesome information. I'll plan to absorb the information more this evening, but just wanted to say thank you and let you know how much I appreciate it (and make sure you don't think I'm just taking your advice and running away :-D). This is why I love this site!

after dozens and dozens of pizzas, ive settled in on 500-550.

When i cooked at higher temps(700+), i got the same results as you.. burnt bottoms, undercooked tops. ESPECIALLY if doing multple pies, for the 3rd-4th pie, the stone was just wayyy to hot.. I would keep a pot of water with heavy dish towel soaking and i would wipe down the stone and throw on some course corn meal right before putting the pizza on it.. that seemed to slow down the burning, probably by adding some moisture to the bottom. I dont time things, but a 22inch pie on the XL takes about 15 mins i'd guess. I also kept the daisy wheel closed and only open the small top vent to better keep the heat in.

Attachments

• IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 73
Never tried pizza on my BGE but this just gives me the information I needed to start doing one. Thanks everyone. This is exciting!!!

The first couple pizzas I did on my Bubba Keg were burnt on the bottom too because I left them on there long enough to cook the toppings. I was also cooking too hot. Shooting for somewhere around 500 gave the best results, especially after adding the second stone. I use a deflector between the fire and the first stone. Then I use the top swing away grate on the Keg to place a Lodge cast iron pizza pan above the toppings. The heat deflected off the cast iron does an amazing job to cook the toppings quickly enough so my crust doesn't burn. I'm very happy with the results. If you don't have a second stone, I would think fashioning a top grate of some sort and using any large cast iron skillet would give the same results. Just a thought.

When i cooked at higher temps(700+), i got the same results as you.. burnt bottoms, undercooked tops. ESPECIALLY if doing multple pies, for the 3rd-4th pie, the stone was just wayyy to hot.. I would keep a pot of water with heavy dish towel soaking and i would wipe down the stone and throw on some course corn meal right before putting the pizza on it.. that seemed to slow down the burning, probably by adding some moisture to the bottom. I dont time things, but a 22inch pie on the XL takes about 15 mins i'd guess. I also kept the daisy wheel closed and only open the small top vent to better keep the heat in.

this is by far the best looking pizza ever in my eyes. My wife and i always order pizza extra well done when we go out

That pizza looks amazing! :thumb:

I put my pizza dough on the pizza stone and let it cook for about 2 minutes. Then I apply my toppings after I flip the crust or dough over.
I agree with RonL that I use about 500 degree heat.

Back