THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uuni 3 here, bought 2nd hand.
Love it.
Used it with the pellet burner a couple of times and it gets screaming hot.
Bought a gas burner for it as I had a feeling I would struggle to get pellets for it at my location and I was right.
Gas is real easy and the oven still gets real hot.
Pellets is more fun, but you should have a pair of extra hands available ;)

@tango joe: what pellets do you use? It can make a difference.
I used the ones that came with the uuni & they worked great. I watched how to work it on ooni's youtube channel

I have an Ooni, but since I am not a huge fan of Neapolitan style pizza, it does not get used very often. I primarily purchased it to use while camping, so there’s that. I have not had any pizza superior to what is produced on a BGE, I understand that is probably not what you are looking for, but it is top-tier in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have an Ooni, but since I am not a huge fan of Neapolitan style pizza, it does not get used very often. I primarily purchased it to use while camping, so there’s that. I have not had any pizza superior to what is produced on a BGE, I understand that is probably not what you are looking for, but it is top-tier in my opinion.

Which ooni do you have?
I got the gas attachment for the uuni 3 and you can also cook very easily at lower temperatures.
It's also possible with pellets, but a bit more difficult.

Which ooni do you have?
I got the gas attachment for the uuni 3 and you can also cook very easily at lower temperatures.
It's also possible with pellets, but a bit more difficult.

I have the original Koda, and I’ve never been able to produce my desired result with it.

I have no desire to cook at lower temperatures, I typically run the BGE around 700°. My preference has always been wood fired with a thin crisp crust, and I have it pretty dialed in.

A BGE is a terrible pizza oven, and I say that as an avid BGE fan! The Ooni should run circles around any Komado.

A BGE is a terrible pizza oven, and I say that as an avid BGE fan! The Ooni should run circles around any Komado.

Interesting. What’s your setup like?

Took me awhile to get it down, but properly set up BGE makes an outstanding Pi. A bit more flavor that my Original Blackstone, but a bit more work and not quite as consistent of a result. The rotating stone just cooks so evenly.

My BGE setup is a small Lava stone on the spider, then a platesetter with the old BGE Ceramic feet supporting the actual (BGE) Pizza stone on it. This raises the actual cooking surface up closer to the top of the dome, and there are 2 deflecting surfaces below the Pizza stone. Takes awhile to get all that mass up to temp, but really works well for me.

YMMV.

Interesting. What’s your setup like?

Took me awhile to get it down, but properly set up BGE makes an outstanding Pi. A bit more flavor that my Original Blackstone, but a bit more work and not quite as consistent of a result. The rotating stone just cooks so evenly.

My BGE setup is a small Lava stone on the spider, then a platesetter with the old BGE Ceramic feet supporting the actual (BGE) Pizza stone on it. This raises the actual cooking surface up closer to the top of the dome, and there are 2 deflecting surfaces below the Pizza stone. Takes awhile to get all that mass up to temp, but really works well for me.

YMMV.

You're giving me PTSD with all the fussin' & fiddlin'. I "fondly" remember those days :razz: I ended up getting a wood fired oven and it was one of the best cooking purchase I've ever made - they're so much fun. The jump in results for pizza (and anything roasted/baked) is night & day. The BGE still gets most of the hardcore grilling work.

ol55uAFh.jpg

Wow
If that's a recent picture after being outside for 5 years I'll have to look into getting one.

Sorry, not actually recent pic. It works the same but has obviously gotten darker and may have had a few melted marshmallows hit the side and make a mess.

Fontana Forni - Marinara. Probably the best non-masonry wood fired ovens on the market.

https://www.fontanaforniusa.com
Very nice rig. I dream about getting something similar someday, and I've looked at that brand a number of times. Read good things about them. I think if I ever did pull the trigger on one, I'd want it to be a true focal point and I've pictured something that has more of a stone/brick facade appearance.

Another thing is that 99%+ of the time, it's just me and the Missus and I'm not sure how often I'd fire it up.

Lots of options already. :mrgreen:

Probably need to think about thinning the herd before I expand it further....

I should take pictures of my pizza with the blackstone but I never think of it, had it about 7 years, turns out amazing pizzas although we found a great dough recipe. The neighbors are amazed when we have them over and we have 7 pizza places within 5 miles of us.

Also, using it for 7 years and my motor just went out about a month ago, I had one waiting for 6-1/2 years in a drawer, 3 minutes later we were still cooking pizza, 2 days later another motor arrived from amazon to sit in the drawer.

And I agree you would never know it was a papa murphy's coming out of the oven if you didn't see the wrapper

I'm in the same boat. I bought my Blackstone pizza oven a couple years ago second hand that was only used a few times. I knew the motors weren't maybe the most stout. I was gifted a spare motor last year for Christmas as I didn't know what to ask for. It will come in handy when the time does come to swap them out.

Very nice rig. I dream about getting something similar someday, and I've looked at that brand a number of times. Read good things about them. I think if I ever did pull the trigger on one, I'd want it to be a true focal point and I've pictured something that has more of a stone/brick facade appearance.

Another thing is that 99%+ of the time, it's just me and the Missus and I'm not sure how often I'd fire it up.

Lots of options already. :mrgreen:

Probably need to think about thinning the herd before I expand it further....

Besides being pretty to look at, the nice thing about the brick/masonry ovens is ask that tenant mass holds the heat for hours (even days) once you get it up to temperature; many owners use that to bake bread and roast meat and veggies the day after a pizza session.

The bad thing about the brick/masonry ovens is that it takes hours and a lot of fuel and attention to get it up to temperature. Another bad thing about then is that they weigh a whole heaping lot!

I really wanted a nice brick oven but knew I'd never get it done if I attempted to build one. I also wanted a gas option. I couldn't find one local so the weight and size also would have made shipping very expensive - something like $1200 several years ago - and I would have needed to rent a fork lift of crane to get it into position.

I ended up getting a Fontana Forni Mangiafuoco gas oven. It was much less expensive than a similarly sized brick oven, shipping was much less expensive, and it was much easier to get into position without any equipment other than a hand truck and some help. It heats up to 850° in under 45 minutes and bakes great! It doesn't hold the heat for days, but I would have rarely made use of that residual heat anyway.

If that’s your opinion, you’re doing something wrong. I suppose it all comes down to what type of pizza you like, as I previously stated, Neapolitan style is not mine.

If that’s your opinion, you’re doing something wrong. I suppose it all comes down to what type of pizza you like, as I previously stated, Neapolitan style is not mine.

I don't have the time or energy to explain why a Kamado makes a lousy pizza oven, but if you enjoy the results you're getting on your Egg then that's all that matters.

Besides being pretty to look at, the nice thing about the brick/masonry ovens is ask that tenant mass holds the heat for hours (even days) once you get it up to temperature; many owners use that to bake bread and roast meat and veggies the day after a pizza session.

The bad thing about the brick/masonry ovens is that it takes hours and a lot of fuel and attention to get it up to temperature. Another bad thing about then is that they weigh a whole heaping lot!

I really wanted a nice brick oven but knew I'd never get it done if I attempted to build one. I also wanted a gas option. I couldn't find one local so the weight and size also would have made shipping very expensive - something like $1200 several years ago - and I would have needed to rent a fork lift of crane to get it into position.

I ended up getting a Fontana Forni Mangiafuoco gas oven. It was much less expensive than a similarly sized brick oven, shipping was much less expensive, and it was much easier to get into position without any equipment other than a hand truck and some help. It heats up to 850° in under 45 minutes and bakes great! It doesn't hold the heat for days, but I would have rarely made use of that residual heat anyway.

Exactly this. I also dream of having a true masonry oven one day, but I can get my Fontana to 900F in 30 minutes w shockingly little wood. I can also get the cover back on it relatively quick after the cook (hours instead of days), so it's a trade-off that works heavily in my favor. It's also produced some of the best roasted meats/poultry/pork & vegetables that I've ever had. They aren't cheap, but they are way, way less than a brick oven. Luckily I got mine before the pandemic and the significant price hike.

E1Syhbkh.jpg

jNmEaXEh.jpg

zClvJI5h.jpg

Back