THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I always thought about hanging meat in my Soisewine but have not scut ally tried it as of yet. Your post has me wanting to to it again. Hanging would allow me to cook a ridiculous amount of ribs at one time. I need to try this.

I always thought about hanging meat in my Soisewine but have not scut ally tried it as of yet. Your post has me wanting to to it again. Hanging would allow me to cook a ridiculous amount of ribs at one time. I need to try this.

Thanks Guido,

With your level of experience , this could be a win win with killer good ribs and more output per cook.

Let’s compare notes. Btw, Nicole at Humphrey’s was terrific and their shop was willing to fabricate for cabinets that are not their own brand. Here’s a shot of what they made, I bought the full perimeter rack features at the top of the image

Attachments

Alright Brethren ,

Here’s round 2: hanging two racks of baby backs with Pitmaker rub.

Lessons learned : I punctured all the way through on opposite sides with grate below in case I get another rip. Wish me luck !!

Good luck!!! I just hooked up a couple of pork loins to take to a football party later. Will be serving sliders on King's Hawaiian rolls.

Lkuo6Nt.jpg

Thanks Guido,

With your level of experience , this could be a win win with killer good ribs and more output per cook.

Let’s compare notes. Btw, Nicole at Humphrey’s was terrific and their shop was willing to fabricate for cabinets that are not their own brand. Here’s a shot of what they made, I bought the full perimeter rack features at the top of the image

Those racks are very nice. I could see them used for sausage rings too. Is that 3/8" stainless rod?

Very nice third eye ,

Those Hawaiian rolls pair magnificently with pork!

Indeed third eye , you’ve got a keen eye for spotting 3/8 inch roundbar, their version is stainless 3/8 which drew me to them. I bought a dozen meat hooks and 3 of the full perimeter hanging racks so I could do a TON of sausage and other cuts all at the same time. When I buy I’m hoping to get gear that I can pass to my kids.

STL, thanks for the info. I’m gunshy after yesterday’s “structural failure” so I probably am overkill a day late and a dollar short. As long as they don’t go into the drink I’ll be happy

Alrighty,

Not to leave you hanging (pun intended), I cooked em hot and fast at 300 cause kiddos were getting hangry. No rip , good color and flavor, successful hanging on my second go round.

Here’s how it went. Two props were a third of the ribs were gone before sitting down for meal (inhaled in the kitchen). Second and best was Little guy asked if we can eat this every day!!

Attachments

Very nice. It looks like you could hang a ton of meat with that new rack. I like hanging meat and have done some good cooks on my PBC.

Wayne

Very nice. It looks like you could hang a ton of meat with that new rack. I like hanging meat and have done some good cooks on my PBC.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne,

It looks like PBC is one of the originators of the species. I’m excited to use my Vault PBC Style . Please let me know : is there a certain temp that you’ve found ideal for hanging ?

Thanks Wayne,

It looks like PBC is one of the originators of the species. I’m excited to use my Vault PBC Style . Please let me know : is there a certain temp that you’ve found ideal for hanging ?
My only experience hanging meat is with the PBC and it likes to run in the high 200's and low 300's but my ribs always came out very good as well as the chicken I've cooked on it. I've never tried Brisket or pork butts on it.

I don't think you need a different temp to cook hanging meat vs meat on a grate. Hanging gives you more room or a different taste profile if you are hanging the meat directly over the charcoal and letting the fat and other fluids to contact the charcoal.

I typically try to smoke most of my meat at around 250. The PBC just naturally likes to cook at a little higher heat so that the food gets done quicker than normal. I have never tried to choke it down just to cook at a lower temp. I just let it do it's thing.

Wayne

My only experience hanging meat is with the PBC and it likes to run in the high 200's and low 300's but my ribs always came out very good as well as the chicken I've cooked on it. I've never tried Brisket or pork butts on it.

I don't think you need a different temp to cook hanging meat vs meat on a grate. Hanging gives you more room or a different taste profile if you are hanging the meat directly over the charcoal and letting the fat and other fluids to contact the charcoal.

I typically try to smoke most of my meat at around 250. The PBC just naturally likes to cook at a little higher heat so that the food gets done quicker than normal. I have never tried to choke it down just to cook at a lower temp. I just let it do it's thing.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne,

This is terrific info. What's your take on water in a vertical hanging environment? Is there a way to sneak a little pan somewhere near the coals of the PBC?

I tend to be a fan of a water pan for moisturizing/regulating temperatures even though it absorbs a lot of BTUs.

Thanks Guido,

You are so Sweet! Thank you! I take pride in helping others with their BBQ needs! No matter if they have a Humphrey's or not! BBQ is a passion I like to share!

You are so Sweet! Thank you! I take pride in helping others with their BBQ needs! No matter if they have a Humphrey's or not! BBQ is a passion I like to share!

You’re welcome Nicole!

The hanging racks were received in pristine condition. Foil pans fit as if you’d had come here and measured yourself.

I’m a satisfied customer and will keep pointing people your way. To your credit, I switcherood my order last minute. You not only caught it, changed it, but you did it with grace! Happy holidays :)

Back