THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notorious Q.U.E.

is Blowin Smoke!
Hi Folks,

I just got some custom made hanging racks that Humphrey smokers was nice enough to make custom for my Vault. I got their large meat hooks then double hooked a 20 pound brisket in two places (4 punctures total) on side opposite fat cap

My Vault cruised at 250 from 11pm last night till 7am just now. I hit refresh on BBQ Gurus Share My Cook website about 15 min ago and saw Meat Probe 1 jumped up 40 degrees in a minute . I said to myself my probes are brand new and then it dawned on me: Brisket ripped!!

I ran outside and I opened the door and here’s what I saw. You’ll see 4 meat hooks, 2 meat probes, and 1 pit probe dangling from the rack.

What am I doing wrong? I figured it was good with 4 punctures but maybe not deep enough? Maybe not on opposite sides of the brisket?

I fished the brisket out of my water/drip pan and just put it back on a standard grate for horizontal smoking. Please tell me how to Up my hanging game!!

Attachments

• 27A8DA10-9CAD-41A8-A60A-60E05FA5ECE8.jpg
    27A8DA10-9CAD-41A8-A60A-60E05FA5ECE8.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 371
  • 042F7EAC-D2DB-4BB7-82CF-B3FE8AFEA551.jpg
    042F7EAC-D2DB-4BB7-82CF-B3FE8AFEA551.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 370
I double hook briskets on the PBC all the time. But our hooks look like the pointed end is longer and it goes all the way through the brisket.

Check this out here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234329

I've also seen where the second hook is on the opposite side using the point from the first hook as the anchor.

See this here too:

g38nnj7g.jpg

Thanks for the pic STL,

I see your style has two big advantages:

1) hook goes clean through to the other side
2) hooks pass through opposite faces of the brisket

Looking back, I can see why I had it rip. I essentially punctured the same “sheet” of the brisket in four spots.

Did the brisket get so tender it tore free?? I generally split my briskets lengthwise, but still double hook them. Same with racks of ribs. The single hooks I built look to have have longer ends, and below is how I use them in tandem. I'm still experimenting with a double hook rig which I'm liking so far. Paul Kirk uses commercial bacon hangers for briskets which have 4 or 5 hooks on them and are readily available.

nAAQxdg.jpg

ImnLchM.jpg

sreMNCT.jpg

fzFdsMq.jpg

Thanks third eye,

I appreciate the gouge. I saw your website and it’s nicely done.

I think you’re right . A 20 pound packer could’ve been easily divided between point and flat, thereby lowering the tension on the hooks. I’ll probably try that next time since they cook at different rates anyway.

Thanks third eye,

I appreciate the gouge. I saw your website and it’s nicely done.

I think you’re right . A 20 pound packer could’ve been easily divided between point and flat, thereby lowering the tension on the hooks. I’ll probably try that next time since they cook at different rates anyway.

Gouge??

For dividing, just trim and pick a line. One half will have a more generous point. Often we'll eat one and I'll triple wrap the other for freezing and reheating later.

Opsw0Zx.jpg

I put it in last night just above the pans and the lower rack was grazing the end of the brisket. I figured if I was going to hang I wanted the meat to be completely suspended. In hindsight I probably should lower the pans right on top of the baffle plate and still have the bottom grate so my brisket doesn’t go into the drink again. Lesson learned

Get you some the PBC hooks QUE. They're of the highest quality and very cheap.

I guess I am missing the advantage to hanging if you are not directly over the fire. Maybe a little better baste but it’s not flavoring the smoke...right?

I guess I am missing the advantage to hanging if you are not directly over the fire. Maybe a little better baste but it’s not flavoring the smoke...right?

I’ll own that I’m ignorant of Hanging Fu. It’s my first vertical and I figured I’d see what all the hanging hoopla was about . It does seem more even in smoking and color but SDAR is right that I miss out on direct heat with an IVC

Back