THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dumb question .... is there any difference in PBC quality now that they’re made in China or has this been covered and I didn’t find it?

I've actually never cooked ribs before, so I think I'm going to do that; I never had the right equipment to do them on my Weber kettle, so I think I'll do 3 slabs in my PBJ. My local Aldi has slabs of baby backs for about $11 a slab. Thanks!

D&D had some great suggestions, but how much time will you have? My go to for company is Ribs and wings. Ribs will be 3.5-5 hours depending on your cooker and how done you want them.

Dumb question .... is there any difference in PBC quality now that they’re made in China or has this been covered and I didn’t find it?

Nevermind found answers on page 458 ... forgot about search feature last night ...my bad:icon_blush:

I've actually never cooked ribs before, so I think I'm going to do that; I never had the right equipment to do them on my Weber kettle, so I think I'll do 3 slabs in my PBJ. My local Aldi has slabs of baby backs for about $11 a slab. Thanks!
Aldi sells Ribs? They just built one here and I refuse to go in there. But I might go in for ribs! My local goto market has ribs everyday BOGO. This weekend it is Buy one rib get 2 free! Will work out to about $9 a slab!

Well, I am officially in the club!. Just got home and the PBC was on the porch, made my day!! I have a million questions, I will be reading through this encyclopedia of the PBC all day. Pretty cool that I stumbled upon the page that shows half baskets and firebricks. That is one question down. Going to be getting some cooking on this weekend!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_a0e.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_a0e.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 131
There was a good segment with Noah on The BBQ Central Show from like Nov. 2017, and he talks about the process of switching over to making them in China. My favorite part was how the Chinese engineers were used to Americans telling them to make things as cheap as possible, and liked working with Noah, who still wanted the same quality as in the US.

They are made in China? That sucks!

There was a good segment with Noah on The BBQ Central Show from like Nov. 2017, and he talks about the process of switching over to making them in China. My favorite part was how the Chinese engineers were used to Americans telling them to make things as cheap as possible, and liked working with Noah, who still wanted the same quality as in the US.
China thinks differently than we do. For example, American manufacturers specify that Chinese manufacturers use non-toxic paint on children's toys. Then there are recalls on some of the toys, because toxic paint has been used. The PBC is also coated. Plus, to some, the fact that the PBC was made in the USA was a tipping point. I know, for me, I lost any interest in purchasing a new one when I learned of the switch to Chinese manufacturing. I'm expecting clone PBCs to start showing up anytime now, China has a pattern of copying foreign designs without even paying a fee.

China thinks differently than we do. For example, American manufacturers specify that Chinese manufacturers use non-toxic paint on children's toys. Then there are recalls on some of the toys, because toxic paint has been used. The PBC is also coated. Plus, to some, the fact that the PBC was made in the USA was a tipping point. I know, for me, I lost any interest in purchasing a new one when I learned of the switch to Chinese manufacturing. I'm expecting clone PBCs to start showing up anytime now, China has a pattern of copying foreign designs without even paying a fee.
I was not aware this was made in China. I had just read that it was veteran owned and never really thought about it. It is what it is. Certainly not my company, so really not my business to critique a guy running his company.

I will say I agree, the copycatting that goes on in China is horrid. I mean the stuff they have stole is incredible and nothing ever gets done about it. I could go on for hours as stuff I know has been knocked off. I do know one thing that people that have great ideas and send their stuff over there to get manufactured better realize it is going to stolen and renamed. I was watching Shark Tank one night and a woman had a great thing going and sent her stuff over to be manufactured and then the copy cats got her stuff and did just that and her company is basically worthless now. Sucks, she would be a millionaire now.

I am a little taken back by hearing this. I had just seen that it was Veteran owned and assumed it was built here. Certainly not my place to tell a man/woman how to run their show, so I won’t. Would this have changed my mind about making my purchase, probably not, but just a little bummed to hear this. I am sure my pellet grill was made somewhere in China. I have no doubt the quality is there on the PBC, from what I read the quality is better than the earlier models.

I would listen to the interview with the owner; I think he makes good points, and I wouldn't have been able to afford it at the previous price point, but we all make our decisions based on the info that is important to us personally.

I am a little taken back by hearing this. I had just seen that it was Veteran owned and assumed it was built here. Certainly not my place to tell a man/woman how to run their show, so I won’t. Would this have changed my mind about making my purchase, probably not, but just a little bummed to hear this. I am sure my pellet grill was made somewhere in China. I have no doubt the quality is there on the PBC, from what I read the quality is better than the earlier models.

I would listen to the interview with the owner; I think he makes good points, and I wouldn't have been able to afford it at the previous price point, but we all make our decisions based on the info that is important to us personally.

Not sure when price went up but my nephew in law bought one June 2017 for same price as today $299.00 made in USA :noidea:

I was considering it because I don't really need the capacity of a 55 gal barrel for just my wife and I, and I liked the idea that it was American made. It was when I learned that it was going to be from China that I really started considering paying for a 55 gal barrel to make a UDS, rather than just waiting to find a free one. I was looking just yesterday on Craigslist, as a matter of fact. Never did that before the China thing.

Like I said I would never fault the owner for doing what he needs to do to run his business and take care of his family. Again, when I seen veteran owned I assumed this was a US product. I seen where you could add military and police stickers and then learn it is now sourced in China. Certainly when you are running a business, things happen in a minute, competition and so on. Gotta do what you gotta do to keep the doors open and the lights on. I know I am just tickled to have one and all that is on my mind is getting it seasoned and getting a few racks on there Sunday and kicking back watching the Masters!

How much wood do you guys use for say a few racks of ribs? I bought 3 bags of Weber Chunk wood tonight. If I was to do 3 racks, will say 3 good chunks be enough or two much? Do you reapply wood when it burns off?

How much wood do you guys use for say a few racks of ribs? I bought 3 bags of Weber Chunk wood tonight. If I was to do 3 racks, will say 3 good chunks be enough or two much? Do you reapply wood when it burns off?

I use 2- 3 smaller chunks

I always go full-basket cooks with a few items moving in/out during the ~7-8 hours. I generally start with 3-4 chunks. I have not been adverse to tossing in a chunk if I'm adding a new item and the original chunks have burned off.

Back