THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't care how you do 'em but those look killer Pedro. Outstanding! :clap2:

Tri tip I like to smoke to 120, then take off and let rest for 10-15 minutes. Heat up a cast iron skillet with butter and sear each side for maybe two minutes.. Just dont let the temp get over 130. Comes out amazing doing the reverse sear.

I do the same technique for most steaks, but I will admit when I'm lazy I'll do them on my GMG pellet too.

This was Meat Church Holy Cow on these tomahawks

Fellas,

If any one of you guys have a blackstone pizza oven (can't keep track who does and who doesn't with so many) it makes for an amazing broiler and you'll get the best crust and end to end pink you can ever ask for. One more option for those who have them.

LJ0Nbi7h.jpg

O5u7HFeh.jpg

VB1Iinqh.jpg

Jwm5e0bh.jpg

cAXLq4Mh.jpg

hp4iH3jh.jpg

iINN7b4h.jpg

How long do chicken wings on the PBC take when they're skewered? I've done them on the grate several times and they seem to take about 40-45 minutes but never skewered them. I'm assuming they take a bit longer since they smoosh together? Any advice?

How long do chicken wings on the PBC take when they're skewered? I've done them on the grate several times and they seem to take about 40-45 minutes but never skewered them. I'm assuming they take a bit longer since they smoosh together? Any advice?

Not really. They actually cook quicker. Depending on how hot I'm running about 30-45. When you skewer them space them out a little so they cook evenly. When squished together they cook as one piece as opposed to individually.

What am I doing wrong with wings? Always turn out great but I do them for close to an hour and a half.

Maybe it is because I almost always do them while I am also doing a bigger piece (butt etc.) that I have to maintain the temp on?

Science question: I did a brisket and butt over the weekend. They were in the barrel for the same amount of time. Brisket has much more of a smoke flavor to it than the pork. Is this due to it hanging while the butt was on the grate or is it a beef/pork thing?

What am I doing wrong with wings? Always turn out great but I do them for close to an hour and a half.

Maybe it is because I almost always do them while I am also doing a bigger piece (butt etc.) that I have to maintain the temp on?

Science question: I did a brisket and butt over the weekend. They were in the barrel for the same amount of time. Brisket has much more of a smoke flavor to it than the pork. Is this due to it hanging while the butt was on the grate or is it a beef/pork thing?

That does sounds surprising, BK. I bet your theory has something to do with it. And I’ve seen different size wings. I just get the small ones from Costco usually—I know some of the grocery stores sell some that are at least twice as big as these little ones—maybe that’s what you’re cooking? Maybe you’ve got your pit set to run at a lower temp? Hard to know. But as you said, they come out good, so all good.

I'm going to be doing 4 racks of side ribs this coming Saturday in the PBC, should I just let them ride the whole 4-6 hours without moving them? I want to sauce them too, but every time I've tried moving ribs near the end of the cook I always end up with one in the coals.

Any ideas? I can't fit 4 racks on the grate, of course, unless I put them in a rib rack. Hmmm...

I like to sauce mine too. What I do is smoke them in the PBC, then when they are done I pull them out, then use a long hook to fish out the coal basket. I put the coal basket in my Weber kettle, place the grate over the coals, then sear them quickly over redirect heat to carmelize the sauce

I like to sauce mine too. What I do is smoke them in the PBC, then when they are done I pull them out, then use a long hook to fish out the coal basket. I put the coal basket in my Weber kettle, place the grate over the coals, then sear them quickly over redirect heat to carmelize the sauce

Nice idea. Another option is to put the basket on the PBC grate and then place your 22 inch Weber grate on top of the PBC. Or if you want the fire closer to the food and you have two 18 inch grates, place the extra grate on top of the rebar. If you have the PBC ash catcher attached to the coal basket I've heard that this may cause the basket handle to get in the way a bit.

I love my wings on the PBC. Takes me about an hour and half too. I always have done them on the rack, but have been wanting to try the skewer method to get the qty per cook up. Usually cook for about 1hr, sauce them up at that point, flip ‘em, sauce again, and then let ride for another 15-30 with lid cracked to crisp ‘em up. Wings sauced again right before plating. Some pics from during and after a couple cooks. First pic shows one go with wings and thighs and a loaded grate, 2nd pic was another wing cook finished product broken up in two types of sauces.

Attachments

• A26C05D8-8770-4CEE-B145-A9F39991CDF7.jpg
    A26C05D8-8770-4CEE-B145-A9F39991CDF7.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 213
  • 81B0AEBC-BAC9-4531-B8E6-BFD80434BF71.jpg
    81B0AEBC-BAC9-4531-B8E6-BFD80434BF71.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 211
I've noticed in the old pbc YouTube video they do wings with both rebar out. This would bring temps up and therefore cooking time down. My question would be what do people do with their bars for wings. I can't remember what I did on my one wing cook (which was fantastic)

I've noticed in the old pbc YouTube video they do wings with both rebar out. This would bring temps up and therefore cooking time down. My question would be what do people do with their bars for wings. I can't remember what I did on my one wing cook (which was fantastic)

I leave mine in but taking them out does make sense for cooking faster. To me it would depend on how much "smoked" flavor you are looking for. You'll get more of that flavor cooking at 275-300° than you will cooking at 375-400.

Rebars out for me. But consider that the only times I have done wings were after I had done larger stuff and didn't want to waste good coals!

LKN - You and I are in the same boat. I've done wings for almost every cook since I want to maximize the good coals. I've always done a large cut or ribs so the wings would go on later in the cook and always be on the grate. Rebar in and no lid crack since I have other items in the smoker that need to maintain temp. I just moved to skewering them since I can do so many more wings in one shot and be done with it; however, saucing isn't as good since I'm not getting full coverage as before when I'd take them off the grate individually, dunk them, and then put them back on. I've preferred the taste of the grated ones so far but I've only skewered twice and the second time was better than the first.

As for rebar in/out, my cook over the weekend featured adding additional coals and wood chunks just for the wings after taking the brisket and butt to the cooler for the hold. I would normally be very concerned about how long the lid was off when I sauced but I pretty much just left it off while I sauced up six skewers. Didn't take long for that sauce to get where it needed to be and it didn't impact the quality of the wings even though the temp definitely increased a great deal. Based on this, if I am only doing skewered wings, I'll probably go standard (rebar in/lid on) for 1:15, sauce while not worrying too much about the lid and put them back on for 10 minutes.

Wings are so good off the PBC. Always a crowd pleaser. Get yourself some sweet Thai chili wing sauce and put that on near the end of the cook if you haven't already.

I'm planning on smoking a 10# fresh ham tomorrow on the PBC. My wife told me to make sure that I stick the F&%^ing cloves in. Of course, that's NOT happening. I WILL add a little ground clove to my rub.

Any idea on cook times?

Nice idea. Another option is to put the basket on the PBC grate and then place your 22 inch Weber grate on top of the PBC. Or if you want the fire closer to the food and you have two 18 inch grates, place the extra grate on top of the rebar. If you have the PBC ash catcher attached to the coal basket I've heard that this may cause the basket handle to get in the way a bit.

That’s a great idea. I have both the full grate and the flip grate so I could pull that off

My parents are coming over this weekend and are wanting me to cook them some stuff on the PBC; what are your suggestions for some good parent pleasers?

My parents are coming over this weekend and are wanting me to cook them some stuff on the PBC; what are your suggestions for some good parent pleasers?

To show off the PBC’s capacity, you can do:
1) 2 chicken halves
2) 1 tri-tip
3) 2 racks of ribs

Just got to time it right for when to put in the meats (ribs first, then chicken about 1.5 hours later, and then tri-tip about 1 hour before service to allow time to rest in foil before slicing).

And then you still got room for 3 more meats to hang depending on the size of the gathering!

D&D had some great suggestions, but how much time will you have? My go to for company is Ribs and wings. Ribs will be 3.5-5 hours depending on your cooker and how done you want them.

Back