THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The chicken kabobs were stupid-juicy. (new term? Only applies to grilling/smoking?). The recipe is nothing new for our house. But I did run into a timing problem. I was hanging the chicken and steak at the same time and the steak came up to sear-time before chicken was ready.

I could have finished the chicken on the GrillGrates along with the steak, but I really wanted to concentrate on steak for GrillGrates, so I finished chicken on the gasser. About 2 minutes per side on there and the result was incredible. Amazing chicken. Probably won't look like much, but rosemary ranch chicken kabobs on the PBC (and gasser) is legit.
vZbc8xdl.jpg

I took the steak to just past 100*. That took about 45 minutes hanging for a ribeye that was 1.4# and about 1.5" thick. I took the lid off and put the GG's on, trying to get those puppies as hot as possible. I let em sit 10-15 minutes while the steak sat.
36vvm5kl.jpg

I got the thermogun out to measure the temp of the GG's. The highest I got was 431. (the highest I got at the time of the pic was 419)
BJDa8Iyl.jpg

OK, so how'd the GG's do? I was impressed. Better sear than I would have guessed for such a relatively low temp. As we all know, the best sear is an all-over sear-crust, which I did not get and I don't think is possible on PBC+GG's. But, I did get a nice result....
iK4BaAIl.jpg

How bout the inside? It was very good. Not a perfect wall-to-wall, which is only attainable with other methods, but med rare for most of it. The hanging took it to just past 100* in 45 minutes at about 300, the sear on the GG's took about 6 minutes per side to get just shy of 130*.
uziyy3Bl.jpg

4aEtY6wl.jpg

It was stupid-juicy and got the nice PBC flavor from hanging for 45 minutes. Much better result than I anticipated. My 12-yr-old daughter is a true steak snob, and she (along with the rest of the fam) gave it an A.
SVZXKyil.jpg
I still think a true reverse sear on the kettle is the way to go, but GG's on the PBC is not a waste. I wouldn't be afraid to try it, fellas. By the way, the fire I had going wasn't the biggest baddest, so I'm sure more heat could be generated if that's the goal.
Thanks for tuning in.
Kanco out!

Thanks for putting the accessories through their respective paces! Steak looks great.

Sako-

Would you consider smoking a steak--or even a tri tip--in the PBC and then tossing it on the Blackstone on the highest heat for a quick sear? Have you done this? I bought the Akorn Jr when it was deeply discounted at Wal Mart for the purpose of doing smaller cooks and for searing items but it is still sitting unopened in its box under my office desk and I'm thinking of just selling it.

Happy New Year guys!

So made it home this afternoon and the NYE six racks took less than 4 hours to cook. :shock:

Of course someone knocked over the PBJ literally 5 mins before I pulled the ribs

KHio4jYh.jpg

Blame it on the booze flowing

SnKd8IOh.jpg

Only pic I managed with the leftover ribs. Needless to say everyone loved it

QUVDnalh.jpg

That much left considering there was also beef, lamb chops, ground beef, pork belly, kabobs:grin:

63mBmTLh.jpg

Thanks for putting the accessories through their respective paces! Steak looks great.

Sako-

Would you consider smoking a steak--or even a tri tip--in the PBC and then tossing it on the Blackstone on the highest heat for a quick sear? Have you done this? I bought the Akorn Jr when it was deeply discounted at Wal Mart for the purpose of doing smaller cooks and for searing items but it is still sitting unopened in its box under my office desk and I'm thinking of just selling it.

BK,

No sense in firing up the kamado just for a sear IMO. I say the BS is the best for the sear job. Now, do you mean the BS griddle or BS pizza oven? I'm thinking you're talking about griddle but not sure which one you have.

I've smoked it in the PBC and seared numerous ways

1. 10* or so shy of my target temp I cracked the lid back and seared

20131014_171023.jpg

20131014_175414.jpg

2. Pulled and seared on BS griddle

4uUjvH2h.jpg

4zgc073h.jpg

3. Now, the BS oven is by far my favorite way to sear when I pull from the PBC

Jwm5e0bh.jpg

cAXLq4Mh.jpg

O5u7HFeh.jpg

Impressive cook, Sako! Too bad about the party foul.

Thanks Kanco! I lost equivalent of 1 rack of perfect ribs due to them hitting the coals getting ashed. Cut off the ashed bones and had to toss them. It happens but luckily no injury to anyone or property damage.

Looks like a great time. I can't believe they knocked over your cooker. That could easily turn a good time bad. Glad to hear it didn't ruin the trip. Next time, I would restrict those guys, to the bottom shelf stuff.

Looks like a great time. I can't believe they knocked over your cooker. That could easily turn a good time bad. Glad to hear it didn't ruin the trip. Next time, I would restrict those guys, to the bottom shelf stuff.

Thanks Josh! Booze were a factor for sure but to be fair it was an accident and poor guy apologized all night. I'm glad it was the barrel and not a kettle or something. To a degree the coals were contained and didn't spill out. I'm glad I got to it fairly quick and took care of it.

Main thing is no one got hurt, and you had a good time. Happy New Year. Can't wait to see another year of your cooks!

Main thing is no one got hurt, and you had a good time. Happy New Year. Can't wait to see another year of your cooks!

Absolutely :thumb:

Being out of town threw off my schedule but I'm starting a thread on my home cured ham. Smoking it tomorrow. :wink:

28lb leg. Took it out of the cure tonight.

o8NUAbJh.jpg

MQs0amSh.jpg

mEVVNBuh.jpg

Back