I'm digging this photo after a few brews :icon_cool

attachment.php

No salt needed with the PBC chicken rub.

Generally you want drumsticks to finish at an IT of about 175-180. The dark meat needs a little higher temp to fully break down. I would crack the lid once they start probing about 160 or so. That should give you 20-30 minutes with the temp cranked.

Thanks. Will try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@SSV hey bro do you know if one would have more hanging length in the hunsaker ? for example maybe wouldn't have to cut as many of the long briskets ?

@SSV hey bro do you know if one would have more hanging length in the hunsaker ? for example maybe wouldn't have to cut as many of the long briskets ?

TT,

Yes. The Hunsaker is a 55gal drum so I know it's at least about 5" taller. I should be reporting soon.:becky:

I recently did my second cook on the new pbc, it cooked chicken and ribs really nice but I think it had too much of a charcoal taste. Would Stubbs or other hardwood charcoal give a different flavor? I was using Kinsford.

I definitely prefer Stubbs. However you can also successfully use KBB if you let it get started well before you put the food on and make sure there is enough air flow to keep the burn clean and not smoldering.

Also remember part of the PBC flavor comes from the juices dripping on the coals and evaporating back into the smoke. That adds a distinct flavor as well.

TT,

Yes. The Hunsaker is a 55gal drum so I know it's at least about 5" taller. I should be reporting soon.:becky:

lol so you ordered one huh ? man I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new hunsaker , gateway or pbc . I think I have it narrowed down between the hunsaker or gateway , really like the wheels on the hunsaker but I believe I like the intake on the gateway , also like the hinged lid on the hunsaker . would defiantly like the extra hanging space ( length )

lol so you ordered one huh ? man I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new hunsaker , gateway or pbc . I think I have it narrowed down between the hunsaker or gateway , really like the wheels on the hunsaker but I believe I like the intake on the gateway , also like the hinged lid on the hunsaker . would defiantly like the extra hanging space ( length )

Def trade-off because I like the Gateway too but a lot more features on the Hunsaker that cater my needs better. I actually contacted Hunsaker to order one but a brethren is selling one that's a month old in NorCal so I'm heading up north early tomorrow AM .:becky: We agreed on a price that's fair for both of us. Not my choice of color "green" but the price is right and I like road trips and Northern California. :thumb:

Def trade-off because I like the Gateway too but a lot more features on the Hunsaker that cater my needs better. I actually contacted Hunsaker to order one but a brethren is selling one that's a month old in NorCal so I'm heading up north early tomorrow AM .:becky: We agreed on a price that's fair for both of us. Not my choice of color "green" but the price is right and I like road trips and Northern California. :thumb:

AHA! So I DID hook you up! Have a nice drive and can't wait to see the first cook!

I was watching...
If you had not, I would have.
Enjoy, and can't wait to see what you do with that drum!!!

Love this cooker and this thread so 'bout time I contributed. Thanks to all you Brethren that have unknowingly inspired me. Here's to you!:clap2:

Attachments

• IMG_4679.jpg
    IMG_4679.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_4823.jpg
    IMG_4823.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_4840.jpg
    IMG_4840.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_4841.jpg
    IMG_4841.jpg