It has to be. I find myself cooking a bunch of things in the barrel as well which significantly changes time and technique. At times when it's fully loaded I have to rotate the fire basket 180* to achieve an even burn. It tends to run cooler away from the intake so I totally know what you're talking about BK. Fattier cuts don't help either since the renderings drip on the coals and extinguish the fire at certain spots. Hence the rotation of the basket. Never an issue when you're running light say with 2 rack of spares or 2 chickens halved.

PS Just in case you guys wonder how I rotate when the cooker is full. The fire poker from my Santa Maria grill (sold recently) is what I used to avoid taking the whole load off. From now on I'll use the fire poker for my stick burner.

upload_-1

Could it be possible that Noah's cook times are faster because it bases the cook on whatever cut of meat being the only thing in the cooker?

I almost always have a full barrel going with something on the hanging rack and something else hanging. Most of his instructions call for hanging the meat in the center of the barrel.

For example, the three racks of ribs I did this past weekend, the rack closest to the intake wound up being the best, the next rack was second and the rack furthest from the intake wound up being the worst of the three since I pulled them at the same time. Third rack could have used another 20-30 minutes probably.

Last edited:
Cleaning them after is what bugs the heck out of me I suppose lol. Makes total sense on not having to open the lid but I guess since I've gotten so used to the cooker I already know when I'm going to hit the target temp approximately.

Speaking of the Smoke, that thing looks awesome. Can't justify it though since I've got a CyberQ wifi, Maverick and soon Meater "Not cheater" coming my way. Can't remember last time I used either of the thermometers on any cooker. Thermapen is all I use nowadays.

PS I don't know if I should say this but I've got another love affair brewing in my life. The Hunsaker drums. I think I'm going to pull the trigger very soon. :behindsofa:

Hey Sako, as someone who just a few months ago got a homemade version of the Gateway drum, I have to say you can't go wrong with Hunsaker or similar drum. They are like bigger version of the PBC with more temperature control and capacity. Going to a KCBS comp this weekend in Oroville and using the UDS for butts, brisket and chicken while the PBC gets ribs. Love drum cooking and I've found some things translate from one to the other so looking at UDS threads can highlight tips and tricks for the PBC. Such as:
1) A deflector plate can help even out the cooking and temp spikes by limiting the grease dripping on the coals. You lose some of that "meat fog" flavor but you get steadier, more consistent cooks. Since I got the big drum, I'm not going to mod the PBC but it's something I'd consider if I didn't have it.
2) Learned of an easy trick for cleaning up the grease on the bottom of the PBC that UDS guys do: pour a thin layer of oil spill pellets on the bottom. I got mine at Auto Zone and 1 bag will last many cooks. To clean, I use a dedicated "pooper scooper" I got from Amazon. This is even easier than lining with foil.
Just something for y'all to try and consider.

Hey Sako, as someone who just a few months ago got a homemade version of the Gateway drum, I have to say you can't go wrong with Hunsaker or similar drum. They are like bigger version of the PBC with more temperature control and capacity. Going to a KCBS comp this weekend in Oroville and using the UDS for butts, brisket and chicken while the PBC gets ribs. Love drum cooking and I've found some things translate from one to the other so looking at UDS threads can highlight tips and tricks for the PBC. Such as:
1) A deflector plate can help even out the cooking and temp spikes by limiting the grease dripping on the coals. You lose some of that "meat fog" flavor but you get steadier, more consistent cooks. Since I got the big drum, I'm not going to mod the PBC but it's something I'd consider if I didn't have it.
2) Learned of an easy trick for cleaning up the grease on the bottom of the PBC that UDS guys do: pour a thin layer of oil spill pellets on the bottom. I got mine at Auto Zone and 1 bag will last many cooks. To clean, I use a dedicated "pooper scooper" I got from Amazon. This is even easier than lining with foil.
Just something for y'all to try and consider.

Great tips D. No way I'm giving up drum cooking but definitely can use more space and temp control. I've looked at Gateway also but the Hunsaker with the hinged lid, vortex, foot controlled damper among a few things stands out to me.

Cleaning them after is what bugs the heck out of me I suppose lol. Makes total sense on not having to open the lid but I guess since I've gotten so used to the cooker I already know when I'm going to hit the target temp approximately.

Speaking of the Smoke, that thing looks awesome. Can't justify it though since I've got a CyberQ wifi, Maverick and soon Meater "Not cheater" coming my way. Can't remember last time I used either of the thermometers on any cooker. Thermapen is all I use nowadays.

PS I don't know if I should say this but I've got another love affair brewing in my life. The Hunsaker drums. I think I'm going to pull the trigger very soon. :behindsofa:

You think the hunsaker drum is worth it? I just looked it up, and it has some real interesting features. Just wondering if those features are worth $500 more then a PB.

Absolutely worth it to me. Don't care to put the time, effort, money into a UDS which it essentially is. In this case I rather pay up and have a professional and proven product delivered to my door like the PBC.

I use the PBC probably more than my other cookers so here is why I'm "upgrading"

More space

Ability to hang more meat with the hanger rack

Precise temp control

The vortex system which offers even heat throughout

Two cooking grates and they're larger (capacity like I mentioned above)

Adjustable grate system (5 position)

Mobility: Easier with the oversized back wheels

A hinged lid which is a huge plus for me

Just some features that can't be beat. Also sold a cooker and selling one or two more which will offset my cost greatly. No tax and free shipping helps too. :becky:

I just got a PBC. I'm planning on doing ribs and chicken drumsticks and need some advice.
I want to time it close enough that both will be done around the same time.

The plan is turning up the heat at the end to finish the drums to get crispy skin. How long does it take to cook the drumsticks? At what temp do you turn up the heat and what is the IT when done?

I understand time differ for different people in different area but even a ballpark number helps.

Also, do you use salt when using the rub come with the PBC?

Thanks!

No salt needed with the PBC chicken rub.

Generally you want drumsticks to finish at an IT of about 175-180. The dark meat needs a little higher temp to fully break down. I would crack the lid once they start probing about 160 or so. That should give you 20-30 minutes with the temp cranked.

Back