THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'll be firing it up so I can send my mother home with some pulled pork when she comes over on Mother's Day.

In regards to pork butt on the PBC--and pretty much everything the first couple of times out--I followed the instructions from the PBC website. I've since moved to almost always just putting it on the grate instead of hanging it and I'll let the temp ride higher like Sako mentioned before wrapping it. If you wrap right when it gets to 160-165, your bark won't be barking as much as you'd probably like. I've been getting better results by leaving it on for at least another hour to an hour and a half once it hits 160 before wrapping. Holding it for a couple of hours really makes a difference as well.

That being said, I've done it as directed on their site and the results are still great. Even better though if you let it ride out longer.

For the new PBC'ers, you'll realize you need the hanging grill grate pretty quickly. You will get in a bind once you wrap large cuts and have to put it on the grate if you are wanting to do ribs at the same time. There are work arounds, I'm sure, but it makes doing multiple items easier.

Also, wings are insane off the PBC. Should be a nice addition to a first cook...put the pork butt on the grate and then do some wings at the same time. Looking back, I wish I would of done something like that for my first cook instead of two butts and a brisket.

Oh, and just because I want to get in on the pron, here is some stuff I've done. I highly recommend grabbing some beef short ribs as the PBC produces amazing results.

Good info BigKing! I do butts similar to the way you explained too.....

Also for all the new folks, most of the methods you get from the PBC company are to get most people started up quickly with good results. Once you get a few cooks under your belt you will sometimes find easier and/or better ways to cook. That's were this thread can be a good mine sometimes. :becky:

Ok - I am new here but I am going to flame on a bit - sorry up front. :wink:

How DARE you guys, (SSV3, stlsportster to name 2) put pictures of such freaking good looking food out there for me to look at while I am at work!? How dare you? What am I supposed to do now? Like playing a game of chicken at the skating rink. My gawd you guys can cook some wicked ar$e looking grub - jeeze. I only dream about food looking that good. How in the world do you guys do that? I mean - I been Qing a long time - but never ever does it LOOK that good.

Ok - flame off now - I couldn't control my jealousy - jeeze you guys are good!

So I DO have a real question. I read almost every one of the 400+ pages of this thread and thinking the PBC might be a great add to my Kamado and li'l ol' webber - but I am having a hard time just thinking I will have to buy Kingsford... Prolly just some left over bias from another long forgotten forum - but do you REALLY just use Kingsford?

Thanks for being awesome!

greg

How DARE you guys, (SSV3, stlsportster to name 2) put pictures of such freaking good looking food out there for me to look at while I am at work!? How dare you? What am I supposed to do now? Like playing a game of chicken at the skating rink. My gawd you guys can cook some wicked ar$e looking grub - jeeze. I only dream about food looking that good. How in the world do you guys do that? I mean - I been Qing a long time - but never ever does it LOOK that good.

So I DO have a real question. I read almost every one of the 400+ pages of this thread and thinking the PBC might be a great add to my Kamado and li'l ol' webber - but I am having a hard time just thinking I will have to buy Kingsford... Prolly just some left over bias from another long forgotten forum - but do you REALLY just use Kingsford?

greg

1. Thanks for the kind words. I've learned to cook most of what I posted from this site and a lot from this thread. Some great cooks posting detailed instructions. Just try it and you'll surprise yourself.

2. Sako (ssv3) is the man! I can only hope to aspire to the stuff he does and I've learned a ton from copying the things he does.

3. I use kingsford because it's cheap. I prefer Stubbs and use that when I see it on sale. Sako uses lump sometimes too. I know others that use Royal Oak with success too. Give them a try.

I've seen plenty of people use lump in the PBC. Including Steven Raichlen using pimento lump charcoal for some killer looking jerk ribs [ame]https://youtu.be/BDvjpIkfzus[/ame]

I have only used KBB since picking up the PBC last June. I use some wood chunks too but, to be honest, I don't know how much of an impact the wood has on taste. Smells nice though!

Thanks sportster - I like the stubbs and often use Cowboy lump as it is easy to get. Have a group of us here in DFW area that used to order the extruded coconut lump out of Indonesia by the pallet - but it became so full of garbage (sand) that we stopped. I have only found Royal Oak once - it was good.

My question stemmed from the PBC site recommending to ONLY use Kingsford due to design and I was wondering if that is what you guys were really doing - or were you straying from purity - many of the pix posted it looked like you guys really were using kingsford.

greg

1. Thanks for the kind words. I've learned to cook most of what I posted from this site and a lot from this thread. Some great cooks posting detailed instructions. Just try it and you'll surprise yourself.

2. Sako (ssv3) is the man! I can only hope to aspire to the stuff he does and I've learned a ton from copying the things he does.

3. I use kingsford because it's cheap. I prefer Stubbs and use that when I see it on sale. Sako uses lump sometimes too. I know others that use Royal Oak with success too. Give them a try.

Thanks for the kind words guys!! :redface::redface:

Plenty of other fellas on here that put out great food. I just do what comes naturally and must say the PBC makes most of what I do effortless. Always consistent and reliable when I want to take it easy as opposed to using my other cookers when I'm in the mood for them.

I hardly use Kingsford and when I do it's Kingsford Professional (K-Comp previously). I mostly use Stubbs like the guys mentioned. When I'm out of briquettes I use lump which I have plenty on hand. Or combination of lump and coal and 16Adams is the master of that so refer to his cooks when doing cooks with combo briq/lump.

To sum it up I use whatever fuel I have on hand and depending what I'm cooking. For example, with the legs of lamb I almost always use Royal Oak lump. RO lump works excellent in the PBC since the pieces are fairly uniform in size compared to other brands and it's available almost everywhere. I've learned the reason PBC works great with briqs is due to the uniformity of briqs so if you can source lump locally that's fairly uniform in size it'll work just as fine.

I had mentioned a few pages back that I grabbed a PBC during the Amazon sale. Currently UPS says it's 'out for delivery'.

Mother's Day weekend not optimal for Daddy to play with new toy, but my thought is to try 2 whole chickens split and hung, and a rack of ribs.

Excited! :heh:

Sweet! She won't say nothing as soon as she tastes the food off of it and especially the chicken. You'll see.

I have/had a lot of bbq toys and the two almost every woman loves are the Kamado and the PBC. That ought to tell you something when a woman acknowledges or notices bbq apparatus. :becky:

i've used kingsford and stubbs in my PBC and couldn't tell much of a difference. so i typically just use KBB cause it's a bit cheaper. i also throw in a few wood chunks too.

Welcome Lifted! I primarily use Stubbs when I cook in the PBC.
Kingsford smells funky to me when it's being lit. Once it's all glowing red though it's fine. Sometimes I cant keep from buying it when it's on sale though. When I do I will use it only in the chimney to start the PBC and pour the lit non smelly KBB over the unlit Stubbs. That method works great as well...

You will see that we have several folks here who use all kinds of coal and has successful cooks. If you use lump obviously it'll cook hotter but some here will mix lump and regular coal. My point to all this is use whatever you want. It'll work.....If you don't like KBB you definitely don't have to use it...

Good luck!

Thanks guys - and to be clear, I don't not like KBB (now I sound like a babbling moron) I was just more curious as to the 'rules' of the PBC.

Thanks for the info guys - you sure do make it hard not to buy a PBC - I'll keep ya in the know!

It's almost beer:30 and time to get on home and prepare for some Q'ing - Have a great weekend guys and gals!

BigKing,

Killer grub and the bark looks killer on both. What I'm talking about! :thumb:

Thanks!

It's easy to be a slave to the directions on the PBC site when you first start up. I wasn't pleased with my bark but it has gotten much better since I've let it ride longer before wrapping. Such an easy solution but I probably wouldn't have done it if I didn't read your post in this thread a ways back since I wouldn't want to "mess up" a long cook: especially a prime packer.

Really appreciate you and the rest of the heavy contributors to this thread. In all honesty, if someone uses this thread as a resource and still can't put out good food on the PBC, they should just quit and buy stock in Postmates.

Just FYI. The mini on sale. Prime Eligibility (I think)

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009IH0ICG/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1494625159&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=pit+barrel+cooker&dpPl=1&dpID=41N81KycYeL&ref=plSrch[/ame]

Back