THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great idea. My company shuts down between Christmas and New Years so I have that going for me.

Have a great time off and be sure to post some amazing pron!

P.S. where's Andrew?

Sweet!! Likewise Bob. :thumb:

Andrew's around. He's in the shadows. :becky: Pretty sure he'll chime in.

Merry Christmas everyone!

My wife and I do a drop in Christmas Eve thing every year. I decided to do some smoked wings on the PBC this year in addition to the 75 tons of food that my wife puts out. But, I did a little spin on it. In this neck of the woods, a popular "topping" on pizza is hot oil. We were at the local place,Colony Grill, that came up with the idea in 1935. I was shooting the breeze with one of the owners that I know and mentioned using his hot oil instead of plain olive oil along with my chipotle rub that I created a couple years ago. He was kind enough to give me a 4 oz to-go container with his oil. They were a hit. The oil really did it.

I figured out thru the help of one of the kitchen staff who led me in the "right direction" to the steps involved:
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Heat slowly to 185*. Cool and strain the pepper flakes out. Store in a sealed jar in the refrigerator up to about a month.

picture.php

picture.php

In keeping with the spirit, also roasted some chestnuts on the PBC some of which will be used in the stuffing for the bird that now hangs in the PBC.

picture.php

Alright fellas. Long story short.

Found an old Hasty Bake at a garage sale awhile back that I paid $25 for. Cooked on it a bit and just didn't love it. Sold it on CL to a fella for $350. $$$$$$$$$$$ Cha Ching.

Meet this guy to delivery the Hasty Bake, and he has a nice looking PBC in the back of his truck. I asked him if he would take $20 for it and a couple minutes later I'm strapping it down in the back of my truck.

I did my first cook on it last Thursday and while I was very happy with the results, my temps were all over the damn place.

Where did I go wrong?

Full basket of Stubbs, had 36 briquets in the chimney, dumped in on top of the coals and followed the amazing ribs 15-10-10 method of bringing the drum up to temp. 4 chunks of pecan, vent 1/4 open (I'm at about 1200 feet) and temps were around 350.

Got tired of waiting and hung 1 chicken halved and a full rack of baby backs halved (wanted to test 2 different rubs). Temps dropped down too 250-260.... Then started falling more after about 2 hours.

Then the were all over the place after pulling the birds and tossing the tri tips on.

The lid seals so well that it's hard as hell to pull off.

Is this just what I can expect?

Alright fellas. Long story short.

Found an old Hasty Bake at a garage sale awhile back that I paid $25 for. Cooked on it a bit and just didn't love it. Sold it on CL to a fella for $350. $$$$$$$$$$$ Cha Ching.

Meet this guy to delivery the Hasty Bake, and he has a nice looking PBC in the back of his truck. I asked him if he would take $20 for it and a couple minutes later I'm strapping it down in the back of my truck.

I did my first cook on it last Thursday and while I was very happy with the results, my temps were all over the damn place.

Where did I go wrong?

Full basket of Stubbs, had 36 briquets in the chimney, dumped in on top of the coals and followed the amazing ribs 15-10-10 method of bringing the drum up to temp. 4 chunks of pecan, vent 1/4 open (I'm at about 1200 feet) and temps were around 350.

Got tired of waiting and hung 1 chicken halved and a full rack of baby backs halved (wanted to test 2 different rubs). Temps dropped down too 250-260.... Then started falling more after about 2 hours.

Then the were all over the place after pulling the birds and tossing the tri tips on.

The lid seals so well that it's hard as hell to pull off.

Is this just what I can expect?

Not sure what your problem was, but I modified my PBC with a PartyQ. Now my temps are dialed in and I have a much larger range. Something to consider.

BHowe, welcome to the club!

Wasn't it pretty windy in OKC last Thursday? Wind will really make temps act weird in the PBC. Also, I'm not sure of the lighting method you mentioned but here's what I do:
Fill basket, take out 36-38 briquettes and place 3-4 medium chunks of wood in the basket. Light the 36 briquettes in a chimney until they are all fully lit. Usually they are mostly glowing red. I dump those over the unlit coals and put the lid on the PBC. I wait at least 15 minutes but sometimes 20. Then I go out and quickly put the meat in the PBC. I usually have no issues staying between 265-295. If the temp drops, you can crack the lid just slightly and they will come back up. If it gets too hot, just use something (I use a glove) to cover in intake about half way. They will drop pretty quick.
It takes a couple cooks but the PBC is very easy to learn...good luck!

Last edited:
Here's what my coal basket looks like before dumping the lit coals in. The next pic is what my lit coals look like before I dump over the unlit. The last picture is how I crack my lid when it's cold or windy and I need the temp to stay up.......

Attachments

• 20160522_121919.jpg
    20160522_121919.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 20151108_164927_zpso8hzizqv.jpg
    20151108_164927_zpso8hzizqv.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 194
  • 20160124_163301.jpg
    20160124_163301.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 192
Leaking lid. I used weights on mine until I found rotating it 180 from the place I was putting it every time sorted it out. You can also put some BBQ high temp gasket around the lid. Also make sure to keep the lid off for as little time as possible. Leaving I it off or checking you cook can make the temps spike dramatically. Mostput something over the intake when they take the lid off. Once the temps go up it takes a while for them to come down.

Merry Christmas everyone!

My wife and I do a drop in Christmas Eve thing every year. I decided to do some smoked wings on the PBC this year in addition to the 75 tons of food that my wife puts out. But, I did a little spin on it. In this neck of the woods, a popular "topping" on pizza is hot oil. We were at the local place,Colony Grill, that came up with the idea in 1935. I was shooting the breeze with one of the owners that I know and mentioned using his hot oil instead of plain olive oil along with my chipotle rub that I created a couple years ago. He was kind enough to give me a 4 oz to-go container with his oil. They were a hit. The oil really did it.

I figured out thru the help of one of the kitchen staff who led me in the "right direction" to the steps involved:
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Heat slowly to 185*. Cool and strain the pepper flakes out. Store in a sealed jar in the refrigerator up to about a month.

picture.php

picture.php

In keeping with the spirit, also roasted some chestnuts on the PBC some of which will be used in the stuffing for the bird that now hangs in the PBC.

picture.php

Great idea on the wings. Good stuff.

Sirloin tip roast

Bought a sirloin tip roast cause it was cheap. It looked like a hunk of meat but was really just folded in half. So I trussed it and slated it for a couple of days. Threw some rub on Rufus teagan or something. Cooked it at 275 on the grate till it hit 95 the flipped it over. I removed a rod to crank it up to 350. It only hit like 330 but as you can see the bark was amazing. i pulled it at 130. With my thermo pen it showed from 132 to 135. Let it rest for 10 min.

It was tender and juicy I was really surprised I was expecting tough. I wanted to try beef again Since the tritip I did was horrible, but didn't want to spend to much and waste food. I expected to make some shepherds pie if it came out bad. Man was it good I mean surprisingly good. Well except eating the butchers twine I sliced into and ate. Oops.

Really learning how to control the temps with it. It has three that I can hit easily 250 275 and 350. I also switched to stubbs charcoal I'm on my second bag and like the flavor much better.

I plan on putting castors on the bloody thing I'm sick of picking it up😊.

Attachments

• IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 174
Bought a sirloin tip roast cause it was cheap. It looked like a hunk of meat but was really just folded in half. So I trussed it and slated it for a couple of days. Threw some rub on Rufus teagan or something. Cooked it at 275 on the grate till it hit 95 the flipped it over. I removed a rod to crank it up to 350. It only hit like 330 but as you can see the bark was amazing. i pulled it at 130. With my thermo pen it showed from 132 to 135. Let it rest for 10 min.

It was tender and juicy I was really surprised I was expecting tough. I wanted to try beef again Since the tritip I did was horrible, but didn't want to spend to much and waste food. I expected to make some shepherds pie if it came out bad. Man was it good I mean surprisingly good. Well except eating the butchers twine I sliced into and ate. Oops.

Really learning how to control the temps with it. It has three that I can hit easily 250 275 and 350. I also switched to stubbs charcoal I'm on my second bag and like the flavor much better.

I plan on putting castors on the bloody thing I'm sick of picking it up😊.

Oh my! I hope I can do that!

Before the annual New Year's road trip with the PBC..

End of the year cook at home before the annual road trip

Spare ribs seasoned with Blues Hog and one with Loot N Booty Everything Rub

z02u6S4h.jpg

Stubbs and a nice healthy chunk of Pecan

HjWMZ0Eh.jpg

Pics don't to it justice. Juicy and tender

cLIds7vh.jpg

CJtFKMzh.jpg

kKCGojlh.jpg

A light coat of 50/50 BH original and BH Tennessee Red

DG2oWBgh.jpg

Yeah! It passed. Never has it failed me in anything. Love my PBC!!!!!!

eCq7zMXh.jpg

Ribs look great Sako!

PBC needs a wash or at least a wiping down....lol :biggrin1:

Lmao Andrew. I actually rinsed the lid before the cook.:mrgreen: I'm loving the enamel and I don't even cover it anymore so the "new" has worn off for me a long time ago. With the other 10+ cookers to keep shiny it's a chore. Thank God I don't have a nagging wife. :becky:

I'm meticulous about cleaning the ash on all of them though. :nod:

Back