Pig cooker

fball1208

Knows what a fatty is.
So one of our pigs is going to have to go for a roaster pig when he hits about 75lbs. Need some ideas on a cooker. What have yall found or used? I have about 2 months to figure something out.

You might check out the MeadowCreek brand of smokers. They feature a lineup of smokers specifically designed for pig roasting, The "PR" (pig roaster) series. They offer a number of sizes. MeadowCreek is in PA. so you can check 'em out in person if you're close. We have one their factory stores here in SW FL and they rent them. Good Luck.

Meadowcreek is out of New Holland PA. They make a pig cooker They do quality work. They may have a dealer near you

Last edited:
Thanks. Have to check out the cinder block pit. Would love a meadow creek but it’s way out of our budget lol

Sounds like you’d have room for a cinderblock pit…which might grow into a smokehouse.

https://www.titangreatoutdoors.com/outdoor-cooking/grills-and-rotisseries/open-fire-rotisseries/tripod-rotisserie-roaster-stand/TRISR.html

I bought the above. For 2-3 pigs a year (I'm hoping). I think it's plenty good.
Couple this with the cinderblock pit to keep the heat in, it doesn't even have to be a full 4 wall pit, just a wind-block so your pig cooks in a decent amount of time. I've used hay bales as wind blocks too. Wet them down and keep them further away. You don't get the heat bouncing back like from blocks or stone, but it works.

I bought the larger motor model. I haven't used it here in Chicago yet - it's January, but I have put it together. It's not bad - and it's actually great for the price. I got it on their Christmas sale. There are also reasonably priced full enclosures on their site, but then you have to store it somewhere. (No affiliation, no profit, no motive)

You can prob rent the Meadowcreek. There is also La Caja China pig cooker. I believe there is a way to add smoke flavor too

My garage built cooker. Propane assist with wood/charcoal.

Last edited:
Yup…. Cinder block is a good one and you can break it down and move it if you get a “nasty gram” from the HOA. Ours is pretty intense here, these retired folks will report ya!

Gotta love HOA’s

:laugh:

Cinder Block is a good idea. If you're looking for something more portable, several of the whole hog guys up here use Alveron Cookers.

Is this going to be a 1 and done cook or a more regular thing? I've got a basic pull behind pig cooker that is made from a 275gal trailer that works great. So do the cinder block pits.

If a one time or rare use you might be able to rent one locally. Around me there are people who advertise rental of their pits, as well as the local ACE Hardware rents meadow creek cookers. Might want to call around locally and see if anyone has something you can rent.

If planning on doing this more often, renting a few different ones will allow you to try different style of cookers without having to invest a lot until you figure out what you want.

Another option would be a quick and easy Caja China or Cajun Microwave. Don't quite get the same smoke effect, but you can find them online for and they are pretty straight forward. Especially for a 1st time or 1 time use.

Attachments

• CajaChina.jpg
    CajaChina.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 130
Back