THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
Happy Derby Day, folks!

Earlier this week, I had the chance to try out my new A-Maze-N Tube Smoker in conjunction with my apartment complex's gas grill.

Thanks to a heads-up from other Brethren, I was able to pick up a Picnic at Kroger for a song!
IMG_0455_zpsvassolzx.jpg

Having been out of the smoking circuit since leaving Okinawa and finding myself in Central Arkansas, I eagerly filled my new 12" Tube Smoker with a combo of apple and hickory pellets before giving her a good, long light with the lighter.
IMG_0456_zpsy7ygyitd.jpg

On the picnic, I tried a 75% Fresh Market "Anything Goes" Rub with 25% HDD.

IMG_0457_zpshj3ugtkd.jpg

On the fatty side, I broke out a local Hot sausage chub and coated her with Anything Goes... and I discovered that Jimmy Dean now makes a Chorizo.... :shocked: Decided to throw her on "nekkid."

IMG_0459_zpsy6chynim.jpg

After giving the A-Maze-N Tube a solid 10 minutes to get some coals built-up, I closed the lid on the grill and let her settle-in somewhere around 275F.

IMG_0462_zpstimitzk3.jpg

I can only hope that the 6.5 hours this picnic spent on the grill drove all my neighbors crazy with how she smelled every time I opened the door to the pool / grill courtyard.

IMG_0463_zpszfis2mbn.jpg

This was my first picnic in a LONG time (I usually smoke butts)... pulled / cut out plenty of fat and that huge bone, but then just chopped up the rest... leaving some delicious cracklin' and a "rustic" look before we devoured it.

IMG_0465_zpstetmjcpw.jpg

I wish I had some photos of the traditional fatty... it's amazing. Unfortunately, I can advise that JD's chorizo didn't hold up to expectations. Maybe she'd be better just crumbled into a pan with some eggs in the morning, but her life as a fatty was short-lived. :doh:

I miss my larger smoker back home in Japan... but if any of you guys are looking for something very portable and easy to use in random gas/charcoal grills, I highly recommend this A-Maze-N Tube Smoker! Heck, I plan to use her for some cold smoking when I get home!

OK... Woodforde's Reserve Mint Julep in-hand. Let the horses run!

Y'all have a great weekend!
Shadow

Well I just ordered a 6" A-Maze-N Tube with some pellets from Brethren Dano at Fire Craft who is a sponsor of the throwdowns here.

I've got a Weber gasser and when I'm in a hurry, this looks like a quick way to add some good smoke to a steak or chick pieces or chops and such.

Thanks Shadow!

I've got a Weber gasser and when I'm in a hurry, this looks like a quick way to add some good smoke to a steak or chick pieces or chops and such.

That's exactly what I was hoping for, too. Curious if I could use it on a cheap grill while on my current adventures.

Back