THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I honestly didn’t realize that there were this many different pellet rigs... Also had no idea there was any controversy attached. Learning a bunch.

Quick question. Do the WiFi controllers on these units only monitor, like the Weber iGrill units, or actually allow you to control the cook via WiFi?

Also, in answer to an earlier question,
my budget is ~$500.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I know with Mak, you can change temps, and even program to change cooking temp at certain internal temps. You can have it set to change to holding temp, once your given internal has reached. Not sure about rectec, but I would assume that it does too. Both will be over $500 new though.

In that price range, I would look at Pitt Boss and louisiana grills. I don't know much about either, but have heard good things.

Last edited:
In that price range you can often find the Camp Chef Smoke Pro DLX (it's $491 at HD now and $499 online at Dick's Sporting Goods). It does not have wifi, but is stable with temps and has the easiest burn pot clean out. I've only had mine for a few months, but it's super easy and convenient to use, especially on weeknights, and it's a great fit with my Performer and WSM.

I don't need to watch their videos, I believe that they make a good pellet grill. I believe they did when this video was made. I came extremely close to buying one. I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy, that they now make a wifi controller, after saying that they would never make one, and that it was just a gimick. There were many other things in that video that I found very off putting. Like our metal is just the right thickness. If you get another grill, it will be either too thin, or too thick. We know exactly the perfect thickness to make our grill. Obviously trying to sway people from Yoder. Their comment about you don't need different heat zones. Obviously trying to sway people from cookshack. If you have a damper, that means they can't control their heat. Also trying to sway people from Yoder.

That type of marketing doesn't sit well with me, and it cost them a customer. Maybe some people don't find it offensive, and that is great, but I feel that companies should try to sell their product, not try to bash others. Especially when they make up completely false statements, like it will burn 20lbs of pellets in 4 hours. I know they didn't mention any names, but they made it pretty obvious what the point of the video was. Now 4 years later, they are proving they are hipocrites, by selling something that they once said was ridiculous. I bet if I did watch a new video, they would be going on and on about if you don't have wifi, it is junk.

I am on your side... I cannot stand how they market their product. It may very well be a nice pellet grill... but the way they go about pushing it is a real turn off to me.

I don’t really have a dog in this fight but I did laugh at the Rec Tec video that was posted.

When they started bagging on sliding baffles I really had to laugh. The 640 is setup with a side fire pot and sliding baffle specifically to allow for 2 zone cooking. IMO they have the best versatility of indirect and direct grilling, even more so than the PG 500 because the 640 can utilize 100% of the grate space in the indirect mode.

To say that they can’t control their temps is a false statement and an unneeded attack

Quick question. Do the WiFi controllers on these units only monitor, like the Weber iGrill units, or actually allow you to control the cook via WiFi?

GMG will let you start the grill and control temps via wifi, and also it will read out the food probe temp. It goes one step further and you can do cooking profiles on it. So you can set it to smoke at 170° for 2 hours, then bump the heat to 275° and cook to an IT of 195° all by itself. It'll even then drop the temp to "keep warm" or just shut off. You can save multiple profiles on the app.

Oh... Boyz, I’m glad I don’t have “money burnin’ a hole in my pocket” right now. I clearly have a few weeks worth of research and reading to do.

You guys are a wealth of information.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back