Pellet Pooper WiFi - worth it.?

Not for 300 bucks; especially not on a pellet grill/smoker.

There's really not much to monitor besides refilling the pellets once if its a overnight cook. I have a wireless thermometer with two probes. One goes in the meat, the other in the smoker. I think i got it for around $25 and i have almost never used it once i got a pellet grill.

Mine has wifi, but where it's at it won't connect to the home wifi, so to use it I have to connect directly with my phone, which means my phone can't be connected to the home wifi. So I've used it maybe once or twice, given that in direct mode I have to be fairly close to get a signal so I might as well just go out and check it.

Do you have any extenders in you WIFI network? If not try installing a cheap extender and see if that fixes it.

A cheap TP-Link N300 WiFi Extender from Amazon gave me a good reliable connection.

Do you have any extenders in you WIFI network? If not try installing a cheap extender and see if that fixes it.

A cheap TP-Link N300 WiFi Extender from Amazon gave me a good reliable connection.

I have a 3 node mesh network. The closest router to the smoker is probably right at the limit of it's range, about 30 feet. My phone gets decent (not great) connection to the network at that point, but I assume the smoker just doesn't have a good enough connection to join the network, but if I do get it to connect it may stay connected. I probably just need to move one of the routers close to get it to connect, but I'm lazy :cool:

Last edited:
Back